Saturday, July 24, 2021

Old Sheets, New Jammies, New Curtains

 I save sheets that have a stain somewhere, a rip, or whose partners were worn to shreds. I use sheets in sets, pretty much, so the orphan sheets go into my fabric stash. 

I made pajamas for myself with a sheet from a Tommy Hilfiger set I bought for Genevieve when she graduated to a big bed. So, that would be about 12 years old now, and that speaks to the quality of the namebrand in this instance. I had a pair of pajamas from Old Navy clearance a few years back that were so floaty and cool, I laid them down on the sheet and used them as a pattern. I also used a length of cotton eyelet to fancy them up a bit.

 

Then, the new bedroom needed some curtains.  I had a lot of fun treating myself to fabric from Spoonflower.

But here's a little word of caution: this was my first time ordering fabric from Spoonflower. I bought 8 yards of their petal cotton, giving myself 2" to spare with all the seam allowances included. I prefer this kind of no-waste sewing because, even though I adore patchwork, my piece bag overfloweth and there are only so many little piecey projects one house needs. 

But when the fabric came, there was a wide white selvage on the sides and both ends. I expected selvage on the sides, but not on the ends! Uneasy, I measured the whole dang yardage and discovered it was 6" shy of 8 yards. When I contacted Spoonflower help in a froth, she said that 1-4% shrinkage is within the range they stated on their website and also that the fabric is cut and measured before the dyeing/printing process and it shrinks after that in its mordant process. She indicated if the fabric was unusable that they would give some kind of refund/discount, but I did not feel right about doing that because I did indeed use the fabric and the shrinkage was what they stated. I did suggest to her that they clarify when the shrinkage happens - as part of the manufacturing process, even before the washing the buyer is going to do at home.  Never have I done measuring and math for shrinkage of commercial fabric I have purchased and washed, but any shrinkage always seemed negligible. Please note that I am not mad at Spoonflower, just newly aware of the differences in purchasing from smaller companies.  


On the plus side, I do not have one single shred of this fabric left over. 


I made the narrowest possible hems on the tops and bottoms, and cut the height as skinchy as possible. I think they turned out well! I used old white sheets as the lining fabric. I do find old sheets really useful. 

What do you do with old sheets? 

21 comments:

Chepkirui said...

These are so lovely! I wish I could sew. We are moving, and I've been thinking about curtains — and costs. Do you think Spoonflower fabric would work if I just attached it to a curtain rod with clips?

Nancy In Boise said...

Looks great! Love the PJ's. I love to sew but don't have as much time for it. I bought some Ikea curtains and hemmed them. Love to be able to tailor clothes too! Nice job!

Margo said...

Thank you! There are all kinds of options for DIY curtains. Check out The Nester, a blogger and author (Myquillin Smith) who literally uses staples and hot glue. Also, I was looking at fabric shower curtains because I didn't want to take the time to sew some - they could have worked for my windows, too. You can always hem with sewing glue, too! It's a thing! Although I think it's usually washable glue, so you might have to redo hems if you decide to wash your curtains, ha.

Margo said...

Thank you! Yes, altering things is such a great use of sewing skills. And mending!

Jennifer Jo said...

Those curtains are stunning!

My old sheets live in the back of the closet. Eventually, they get used as dog bedding or drop cloths or barn rags or get shuttled off to Gift and Thrift, from whence they probably came in the first place.

Celeste said...

I love her "Window Mistreatment" phrase

https://thenester.com/?s=window+mistreatment

Celeste said...

Beautiful!

My mom and I like to make grocery bags out of thrift-store pillow cases. She used a regular plastic bag to make a pattern but extended the handles to be shoulder-length. They're so much nicer to use with the long handles!

Margo said...

That's clever!

Becky said...

Cute pj's! I'm still not good at making a pattern from an existing piece of clothing, but I'm always trying.
I don't bother using sheets in sets much - both my husband and daughter will grab a flat and fitted sheet from the linen closet, regardless of whether they match, they just need to fit, so I've given up trying to have a 'set'. Which means, when one dies, the other lives on. Sometimes they will get rotated out to be used for the dog or as a drop cloth or I'll make a skirt out of it.

Christy K. said...

I love seeing pictures of your bedroom. Love your furniture and decorating!

rachel said...

I use old sheets (assuming they are not stained/torn) as backing for comforters for MCC--usually the fitted sheet gets super worn out and gross--not salvageable, but the flat sheet often looks great, so those are the ones I use.

BLD in MT said...

Those curtains are just lovely! Especially when the light is shining through all rosy, making the tree pattern really stand out. Very nice--and resourceful, given the specifics!

Probably my favorite dress that I've ever made was crafted out of a very seventies bed sheet that I got at the Salvation Army thrift store when I got my first double bed as a teen! I still wear it. Its very mustardy and floral and magnificent. I don't mind un-matched sets so, these days, I usually just wear my sheets--top and bottom--down to ribbons.

Cute jammies! The lace really is an nice touch. And I sure enjoy your bathroom tiles, too. I've probably said that before...

LeAnn said...

Sometimes I donate old sheets to the local APA, but more often than not, I use them for blanket coverings for picnics and such. I have an outdoor blanket but it is a bit rough. The sheet softens things up a bit. I also like them to use to lay on the couch if I feel like I need a nap. I have also been known to decorate my "blanket ladder" with them in the summer versus the heavy winter blankets.

Margo said...

Yes, so easy to make a backing that way! (I love your pretty comforters, too)

Margo said...

70s sheets are my FAVE. And also 1930s black and white bathroom tile ;)

Margo said...

That reminds me: my mom used to take an old sheet to the beach to sit on. The sand really did not stick to it. . .

Lizzy said...

As someone who buys lots of old sheets from Gift and Thrift to use as muslins, I thank you ��

BLD in MT said...

:)

e said...

Love your pjs and curtains! I have lined many curtains with old flat sheets. I have also used a worn out fitted sheet as a stabilizer inside a throw (or lab robe, as my grandmother called it). Being ridiculously thrifty, I cut it to size and tacked pieces of batting to it since I wanted to use up ALL the scrappy things. It's still on my couch and gets very frequent use. When I told Grandma what I did, she beamed with pride. Very satisfying!

Bluestocking said...

The curtains are *very* pretty, though ... all's well that ends well!

Margo said...

I seriously love this!