Sunday, July 18, 2021

Kale-Sauce Pasta

I found this recipe in The New York Times a couple years ago and it has been in regular rotation ever since because
1. It is delicious.
2. It is easy.
3. It uses pantry staples. 
4. It's a complete balanced meal if you need it to be. 
I've used it as a side-dish to fish or grilled meat. Here we are having cold grilled turkey leftover from a birthday dinner. It's great for using up scrappy pieces of kale and if the stems are not too thick, I don't even bother stemming the leaves anyway.


 I've used all kinds of pasta to make this. Sometimes I increase the sauce amounts to use a full pound of pasta because my people eat a lot of food these days. 

I'm also cooking outside on a single-burner induction cooktop to keep the steamy heat out of the house. I keep hotpads and an extension cord right in the drawer there. 
I've made this in kitchens in summer vacation houses - just check first that there's a blender or something like it.  
Kale-Sauce Pasta

1. In large pot of salted boiling water, blanch 1/2-1lb. kale, thick ribs removed.
2. Meanwhile, heat 1/4 cup olive oil in small pan and gently over low heat cook 2-3 garlic cloves, chopped coarsely. When I can smell the delicious garlic scent and small bubbles are forming around the pieces, I pull it off the heat. Definitely do not let it brown!
3. Pour garlic oil with garlic in blender. 
4. Fish kale out of water with tongs and add to blender. 
5. Add 1/4 cup hot kale water. Add 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan. 
6. Puree. It will be a lovely green!
7. Cook 1/2-3/4lb. pasta in the same hot kale water. 
8. Mix kale sauce and hot pasta, adding freshly ground pepper to taste, as well as more salt and Parmesan as desired. 

9 comments:

Juliana said...

Ooh, lovely! (Although, I did chuckle a bit; I have four kids, ages 13-8, and I usually have to make 2 pounds of pasta these days--ha!)

Margo said...

Oh my! 2 lbs of pasta is a lot! I would probably do better to make 2 lbs. pasta because there'd probably be a bit leftover and then there would be something easy to offer the kids who get hungry 2 hours after supper (sighhh).

Becky said...

I've made this, but it was not a hit here. However, that outdoor setup is divine and I think I need to make one like that for myself.

e said...

Is that regular 'pasta colored' pasta? Because, wow, that kale sauce really covers well!

(Also love your outdoor kitchen set up. Haven't you done some canning outside as well?)

Margo said...

It is whole wheat pasta, so a little browner than the regular stuff. But yeah, the sauce gloms on really well (best not to let it dry on dishes too long before washing them, haha).

Yup, I do a fair amount of cooking and canning outside on a propane burner and now the induction cooktop too.

BLD in MT said...

This sounds very good! We aren't growing kale this year, but I'll have to file it away for the next time we get a bunch. That last picture is truly superb, too, with your fab outfit, vibrant pasta, and groovy gravel patio!

BLD in MT said...

OH! And that is an AWESOME outdoor kitchen set up! Brilliant for summers such as these!

Margo said...

Thank you!

Nancy In Boise said...

Looks great! Your backyard looks nice too! My kale is finally about ready to harvest, will try this!