Tuesday, April 2, 2019

A Shirt Dress with Swiss Buttons and a Favorite Color

Many years ago, in our first year of marriage, my husband and I went on vacation in Switzerland, where everything really does look like the postcards.  At the time, I did not have a sewing machine or knitting needles or anything like that (I also did not have children or a teaching job or a house, just to orient you to how much of a baby I was).

Nevertheless, in Neuchǎtel, Switzerland, we went shopping in the market square, and I was drawn into a Bernina store. I bought bright buttons like someone buying candy.  All these years, they have been in their little paper Bernina bag in my button collection, where I take them out occasionally and finger them happily. In the meantime, I became the proud owner of a Bernina sewing machine and started to sew and make things in earnest.


As I do, I began to hunt through my fabric this fall in search of a dress. I settled on this plaid from a thrift store as a classic shirt dress.  And then, the Swiss buttons made perfect sense: a whimsical olive color, but not Too Much Drama with the plaid.  Oh, it made me so happy to use them after all these years!  I had just enough buttons for the front placket, so I used two pretty brown tulip buttons on the cuffs.


I made two additions to the dress that were not included with the pattern. I added side pockets to the dress - one of the perks of making clothes for myself!

Photos of me in this post courtesy of my husband


Also, I lined the skirt of the dress to make it even easier to pop on instead of hunting for a slip to keep the dress from sticking to my tights. My husband says these tights do not match the dress, but piffle: they go with the dress. Actually, lots of colors go with this dress, and I have the cardigans to prove it.



Gradually, it dawned on me that perhaps gold is also a favorite color of mine?  Look at the golden yellow trim on my house - I chose it.  Look at the turmeric benches at my church - I chose their color, too. I have mustard-colored pants, a yellow wallet, yellow sandals, on and on: obviously I have been choosing gold for years while saying blue is my favorite color.  Oh, I crack myself up.



Are you having a color crush currently? I might be having a tiny crush on purple, but no acquisitions to prove it.

7 comments:

e said...

No offense to you husband but... the tights clearly *go with* the dress! And, yes, with the house! Beautiful buttons. They will remind you of that trip to Suisse every time you wear the dress. That should bring a smile.

My favorite color is purple. Actually, my crush is purple and green together, no matter that some consider it a 90's throwback. It's a beautiful combo!

Lisa said...

Yes, the tights go! And yellow is "in" now. But look at you, with the matched plaids!! Fabulous job.

Anonymous said...

Love, love, love your dress and the tights go perfectly!

Coleen

Jennifer Jo said...

So lovely!!!

Christy K. said...

I am so impressed. Love the dress, the tights, clogs, and how you match your house! =)

Becky said...

Yes, those tights go with the dress! (side note - where did you get them? I desperately need some new tights, although I suppose I'll now wait until next fall to find some...)

Love the dress. The buttons are sweet too.

My favorite color is purple, but I do like touches of pink. And maybe a pop of red here and there. Oh, and orange is never wrong. Although certain shades of green get me too.

I like color. But have a little black dress with matching cardigan for every day of the week.

Anonymous said...

You look adorable! I am so impressed! (and the tights go 100%)