Sunday, November 5, 2017

Sunday Dinner: Honey-Baked Chicken and Braised Broccoli

I read about Anna's birthday feast, but my library didn't have the same Susan Herrmann Loomis cookbook she used so I settled for In a French Kitchen.  I glanced through it quickly Saturday night - the prose includes everyday details of French kitchens (fascinating!) and the recipes seem very doable.  My eye landed on Braised Broccoli and with no trouble at all, I added it to our Sunday dinner.

menu:
honey-baked chicken (More with Less)
baked potatoes
braised broccoli (In a French Kitchen)

Saturday:
thaw chicken

Sunday morning:
scrub potatoes, put in oven on timed bake
cut up chicken, mix sauce, put in oven on timed bake
cut up broccoli/onions/garlic and put in pan with lid

Sunday noon:
set table
cook broccoli


This was an excellent, easy Sunday dinner.  I'll be doing this one again!

Braised Broccoli
Put in wide shallow skillet with lid:
about 1 lb. broccoli, cut in bite-sized pieces, tender stems included
3 Tbsp. minced sweet onion or scallions
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup water

Sprinkle over:
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
salt
fresh-ground pepper

Cover and cook on med-high for 10 minutes.  Lift lid and stir. Continue to cook without lid, stirring occasionally, until liquid evaporates and contents are sizzling, hopefully even getting a little browned, maybe 5 minutes.  Serve hot or room temperature.

5 comments:

Becky said...

This looks great. My broccoli fan is sure to love it.

Mary Anne said...

I wonder about the chicken waiting in the oven before it starts to bake. What are your thoughts on this?

Mary Anne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jenny_o said...

Sounds delicious. Broccoli needs a little something, in my opinion, and this sounds like just enough :)

Margo said...

Mary Anne, I don't worry about it. I wouldn't let raw meat sit out at room temperature all day, though. I take the modern food-safety standards and cross them with the old-fashioned ways and come out in the middle :) I also mix up baked oatmeal in the evening sometimes and put it on timed bake to be ready for breakfast.