Thursday, November 24, 2016

Goodbye, Mullet; Hello, Pixie


 I just up and cut it off this morning while the turkey was roasting. I set Phoebe in her high chair in front of a Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star video on Youtube, and vacuumed her off when I was done.

By the way, I think I have my 15-lb turkey method nailed down:  dry brine (2 Tbsp. kosher salt, 2 Tbsp. sugar, 1 tsp. pepper, 1 tsp. poultry herbs) for 24 hours, bake 425 covered for 1 hour, then 3 hours on 300 (or until nearly done) and uncover last 30 minutes.  My meat thermometer was dead in the drawer when I wanted to test the turkey, but it was delicious and easy, so I'm saving the details.  I'm not scared of cooking big pieces of meat anymore, but I don't do it often enough to remember.


11 comments:

Lisa said...

Done when you really had nothing else to do (isn't it funny that sometimes when we're really busy, we suddenly add another thing into the mix?), and she never knew what hit her. :) Very cute. Happy Thanksgiving!

jenny_o said...

Sweet! And look at those waves!

And why have I never, ever thought of vacuuming hair after a haircut???? thank you for that!

Alica said...

And I'm noticing that great hand position on the piano! :)

sk said...

This was a commercial turkey? (I don't mean Phoebe.) 2 tbsp salt more? How does that work?

Margo said...

sk, the turkey was a local one from an Amish farmer. Not sure what your question is about the salt. . . ? (And I do call Phoebe a turkey sometimes!)

Becky said...

Amazing the difference a haircut can make!

e said...

Doesn't she look so grown up sitting at the piano! Perfect hair cut for the little miss. Nice and stealthy hair cutting technique there, mom!

sk said...

Margo, about the salt, you answered my question--the cheap frozen turkeys I buy are already pumped full of it.

Sarah Barry said...

Oh that little flip/curl in the back!

Deanna Beth said...

Well, hi Margo. Why a dry brine? Does it do as good a job or better? Never heard of such a thug, honestly.

Deanna Beth

Margo said...

Deanna Beth!! Hi! I came across the dry brine in a magazine recipe and I like it because I don't have to use a gallon or more of water and thus keep the turkey in an ice chest and fuss with that.