Thursday, March 15, 2018

Sheet-Pan Meatballs with Lemon Yogurt and Onions

The reason to make these sheet-pan meatballs and chickpeas is for the flavors.  It's got several steps and components to the meal (unlike sheet-pan chicken which blew my mind with its simplicity and flavor, and so far no sheet-pan meal has topped that). 

I got the recipe from Smitten Kitchen and tweaked it a bit to make it even easier.  As is the case with sheet-pan meals, we all loved it, so that's an incentive to go through a few extra steps.  I also like how meat is present here but not dominant. 

Besides the meatballs, chickpeas, yogurt, and onions, we also had steamed broccoli and French bread. I have some big kid appetites to reckon with.

Also, the yogurt with salt, pepper, and lemon juice was a real revelation. I've since salted and peppered plain yogurt a few times just because it was so delicious. 



Sheet-pan Meatballs and Chickpeas with Lemon Yogurt and Onions

Mix and set aside (I did this in early afternoon and kept it in the fridge until suppertime):
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg
2 minced garlic cloves
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. turmeric
1/4 tsp. cayenne, more or less, to taste

Prepare the lemon yogurt and lemon onion toppings and set aside. 

Mix:
1 cup plain yogurt
zest and juice of half a lemon
1/4 tsp. salt
few grinds fresh pepper

Mix:
half a large onion, sliced thinly
zest and juice of half a lemon
1/4 tsp. salt
few grinds fresh pepper

Now to cook! On a sheet pan, combine:
3-4 cups cooked chickpeas
1 tbsp. fennel seed
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. turmeric
half a large onion, sliced
2 Tbsp. olive oil
salt, pepper

Toss to coat.  Roast at 400F for 25 minutes. Form 1" meatballs while the chickpeas roast. Place meatballs on top of chickpeas after 25 minutes are up, and roast again for about 15 minutes, until meatballs are cooked through. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup chopped cilantro. Serve hot with lemon yogurt and lemon onions.  Bread or pita on the side is really great. 

6 comments:

Jennifer Jo said...

I saw this recipe on Smitten Kitchen and ignored it, but the way YOU write about it makes it sound way more do-able...and better.

e said...

I'm always interested to hear about a lemon flavored dish - whether sweet or savory. Thanks!

Hazel said...

I think I said when you posted about the traybake chicken (I think traybake is a cake in the US? It can be both here) that I love these meals too- there are 5 of us and I like being able to cook it all in the oven- I often do a tray of potato wedges (cut the potatoes, toss or drizzle with a little oil depending on time and inclination, season and sprinkle with paprika or fresh or dried rosemary if you like. They're pretty forgiving and will cook alongside whatever else is in the oven on a hottish temperature) and maybe some roasted carrots and/or parsnips as well as the oven is on.

I love the sound of this dish- it might go on the menu for the weekend!

I really like this recipe with sweet and normal potatoes with halloumi cheese-
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/nigella-lawson/double-potato-and-halloumi-bake-recipe-2203675

I've increased the amounts for us (may need two trays so it doesn't just steam) and often use a different cheese or vary the proportion of veg.

Becky said...

I'm totally into lemon finishing a dish these days. And I love a good roasted veg dinner - roasted chickpeas are so good.

Margo said...

Hazel, thanks for the recipe link. It sounds good! I recently tried a sheet-pan recipe from Healthyish via Cup of Jo that had bread cubes and cheese as well. It was good and I want to mess around with adding cheese again.

sk said...

Exquisite. Exquisite.