So when I started planning this dress for Genevieve, I wanted to simply reference the nautical colors. Everything came from my stash and as far as I recall, it was all passed on to me free. I borrowed the pattern from Rebecca.
I love how the sailor dress turned out, although I confess that collar gave me fits and lots of seam ripping. I used a poly-cotton blend for the collar which does make it lay nicely. The dress body is a vintage seersucker plaid. It has no closures, only a detachable dickey.
Underneath are white bloomers with red hem stitching, made from a knit polo shirt of Daddy's (the one that came out of the closet with a moth hole). By carefully lining up the pattern, I used the shirt hem as the bloomers hem.
Genevieve wasn't totally thrilled with the dress - I think we'll be collaborating more from now on - but she was pleased with all the compliments she got and she also suggested the red ric-rac to tie back her hair.
She's not objecting to wearing the dress to vacation Bible school with sandals. She's carrying my great-aunt's Bible in its flowered case stuffed with pens, highlighters, and paper - all her own idea and so quaintly old-ladyish.