Thursday, May 8, 2014

Violets in the Kitchen

We picked violets and brought them into the kitchen, instead of the vase. We have never put a chemical on our yard because we're not manicured-grass kind of people; the side benefit is organic edibles!

photo by Genevieve

dandelion, violet, and water "soup"
I pressed some violets into spicy sugar cookies, sprinkled them with coarse sugar, and baked them.  Pretty!  Next time I would cut the cookies even smaller or else use several violets per cookie.




Then I boiled up some water and let it cool down.  According to a tip on Pinterest, boiled water makes clear ice cubes.  I froze a tray of ice cubes with violets in them.  I don't have a plan in mind, but it will be nice to pull the pretty ice cubes out for a party or a simple glass of lemonade.


5 comments:

Jennifer Jo said...

Those violet cookies are preciously quaint.

And please share the end results of the violet ice, 'kay?

Lisa said...

Oh, nice! But you've given me pause - I was going to fry up some dandelions today and now I'm wondering if there are chemicals on our lawn. I know my brother spread lime on it - I'll have to ask him. It's raining today, anyway, so I wouldn't pick the wet flowers for frying.

BLD in MT said...

What simple, brilliant ideas! I mean, who doesn't want a pretty little purple flower in their glass or cookie?!

Sew Blessed Maw [Judy] said...

How nice.. the cookies look yummy and I can just "taste" some lemonade with the pretty violet ice cubes.. Enjoy.

jenny_o said...

So pretty - I love the thought of a violet within an ice cube. Yay for no chemicals in your yard!