The pretty patches:
My hotpads were looking pretty sorry and then I went and scorched one, so I made a new pair from my cutter quilt. I covered up some split seams with patches and highlighted them with handstitching in red perle cotton. It's so nice to work with pretty things that are also useful!
The happy patches:
This handtowel went from serviceable to wonderful when I patched up a hole and a stain with some vintage kitchen curtains.
And Genevieve can wear her tights again! I darned a hole with matching green thread. I'm so pleased to extend the life of these tights.
The funny patch:
I offered to cover up the brand name of Ben's backpack with an applique. He loves the patch because it has wheels on it, I love it because it's a little offbeat.
The real patches (so many of these!):
Apparently, the vintage pillowcase that I used for my pajama waistband was rather weak. So holes are appearing in the waistband. For now, I'm just slapping patches on them, embracing the shabby chic look, and hoping for spring pajamas.
Then there is the patchwork tablecloth.
The mystery terracotta fabric gets very heavy and stiff when it's wet, so some of the seams of the patchwork have pulled out from the stress. Also, I don't use wide seam allowances, so there wasn't much communal fabric for each seam (I can just picture each partner yelling and clinging to no avail. . . ). So, I stitched on lots of patches to help the torn seams.
The back of the patchwork looks rather cool, now. Maybe I'll flip the tablecloth to get longer wear out of it between washings. . .