Saturday, December 21, 2013

St. Lucia Buns for Breakfast

It's not hard for me to make fun bread during the day when I'm at home and the children are at school.  I find yeast breads easier to make than, say, cookies, and the baking scent is so deeply delectable. 



So that's how come I made St. Lucia buns early in December and cached them in the freezer for December 13.  The dough is a fairly standard sweet yeast dough, but the added saffron and the s-shape makes the buns special. They are pillowy and subtly exotic from the saffron and then there's a dark little spot of sweetness from the raisin in the fat curl.


The batch was so large that we had St. Lucia buns again for breakfast yesterday, and this time I snapped a picture. Warm St. Lucia buns, red oranges, and yogurt cheese.  And strong black coffee for the bigs and hot chocolate for the littles.  A nice way to start a dark winter morning that's not Christmas yet.
 
 

8 comments:

Julian said...

Very pretty, and what a nice breakfast! Christina

Lydia Jo said...

Must have been fun to pull these out of the freezer. Never heard of these. That might be because I am so much more comfortable with cookies. We tried to make donuts on the first real snow day of December (whenever that was) and my Mother in laws recipe which is supposed to be the best of course, is very vague in how much flour to use. This was a problem to my untrained eye.

Meryl said...

Ack! That's genius! I always want to do St. Lucia buns, but by the time the day comes around there's so much other Christmas baking to do. Next year I'll make some dough ahead and freeze it!

Rebecca said...

We got red oranges from the FL in-laws. Never heard the like! Is it a new thing?

Unknown said...

I'm hungry already ... looks so delicious.

Venus Puzzle

Margo said...

Rebecca, this is the first year I've seen red oranges - they're so pretty.

jenny_o said...

This looks delicious. Do you make your own yogurt cheese? (I did a search for it here but nothing came up.)

Margo said...

jenny_o, I didn't make this yogurt cheese. It's just a local, mild, white cheese - something stronger would have overpowered the delicate flavor of the buns.