Monday, January 16, 2012

Thrift-Store Brightness in Mid-Winter

The universe gave me brightness for a few bucks - how welcome in the middle of January!  It tickles me that my three favorite purchases were multi-color brightness. . . and not on my list.



The afghan is wool and looks like it was accidentally felted.  All those gorgeous color combinations make me giddy and deeply inspired. (For $3, I have to say)

The little ripple afghan ($2!) is too small for anything that I've figured out yet. I've got it tossed across my shoulders right now like a Tasha Tudor shawl, but it's really too skimpy.  But those colors!


All I went to the thrift store for was to get a sheet to use as backing for Ben's quilt, and a tin for Christmas 2012's fruitcake.  I've never made a proper fruitcake before, and I'm not going to miss my window of opportunity again, nor am I going to plop the grand thing in Tupperware.

Besides the chambray sheet, I got a stack of vintage tea towels.  I'm sure they'll resurface sometime in my etsy shop as hanging hand towels.

7 comments:

Lisa said...

Wow, Margo! You were at the right place at the right time!

A few years ago I started a ripple afghan and then stopped; it's about the size of yours. It happens to match the living room colors, so it's on the back of the loveseat.

sara said...

Hi Margo,

What a fantastic haul of vintage inspired goodies you have there, the colours in the afghan are so rich, glorious in fact.

Deanna Beth said...

Great finds.

Sarah Barry said...

those colors make me giddy too!

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

Score! Delicious colors; good winter therapy!

Sew Blessed Maw [Judy] said...

What a fun thrift store outing.I love all the beautiful colors.. Pretty..

Leila said...

Those little blankets would be perfect for a baby :)

Great finds!