Saturday, January 21, 2012

Canned Cranberry Sauce Melts

I forget where I learned this little deliciousness:  slice canned cranberry sauce into a sandwich with brie and arugula.

Here, I made it into melts with wilted spinach and swiss.  We ate the melts beside creamy pumpkin soup.  I cook towards Thanksgiving flavors  all through the winter because I love them so much.

Rebecca wanted me to tell you how I wilted the spinach - to take its bounce away and make it easier in sandwiches. 


I simply washed the leaves, put them in a lidded casserole and popped them in the hot oven for 10 or so minutes.  I was baking something else, which now escapes me, but all I needed for the spinach was some moist heat, so I created it in the already hot oven.  A little thriftiness, but I like to think it adds up over time.

10 comments:

Polly said...

I am fascinated. I must try these melts.

So, just the leaves? Not a dash of water or anything? I'm going to try it!

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

Yum! If only my crew would eat stuff like this.

Margo said...

Polly, just the water on the leaves from washing them. If I'm wilting greens, I try to avoid adding extra water.

Rhonda said...

yes, you are so right that little thriftiness does add up over time.

and a comment for your previous post, that is quite an accomplishment to replace any zipper. Good job!

Sew Blessed Maw [Judy] said...

sounds yummy.. Will have to try it.. Looks good too..

Anonymous said...

But is sliced cranberry sauce from the can really all that healthy? Or do you make your own?

BLD in MT said...

That is a handy tip for wilting! Thanks!

Beth said...

Very interesting. Sounds yummy - very gourmet...something they'd charge like $15 for at a restaurant as an appetizer! :-) Pass one to me?

Sarah Barry said...

You have the most creative meal ideas. Cranberry and brie - sounds like a lovely combo.

Margo said...

Anon, I'm sure it's not terribly healthy. I make real cranberry sauce from scratch as a serious side for Thanksgiving. However, I find this canned stuff strangely attractive too - nostalgic, because it was part of my father's childhood.