Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Home Again Soup & Climbing Biscuits

We are home from the snowy mountains - whew.  And what you want after all the rich food and infinite Christmas cookies and midnight snacking while playing cards is a good, plain, homemade supper that reassures you that you are, indeed, home.



Potato soup with fennel and parsley.  Pickled beets.  Climbing biscuits.



My cousin Jubilee made towering, flaky, buttery biscuits for breakfast one morning - I immediately wanted to know her recipe.  Turns out, it's the method of baking that makes the biscuits so tall.  Jubilee lays the cut biscuits snugly inside a pan to bake, not spread out on a cookie sheet the way I thought everyone did.  When I got off the mountain, I called Rebecca:  she said oh yes, you put them in a pan so they climb higher.  So Hattie's Lighter-Than-Lead Biscuits climbed quite high and I'm even more in love with biscuits.


6 comments:

Unknown said...

Mmmm - sounds good! I love pickled beets : ) And, your potato soup sounds a lot like one of my favorites: creamy potato and cheddar stew! I'll have to try this new method for baking biscuits sometime ; )
Glad you're back!

A said...

Missed your posts as well. Meal looks lovely, as usual, but what I'm most intrigued by is that you have a cousin named Jubilee.

life in this 1880 farmhouse said...

Missed hearing from you as well.
This is a new way of making biscuits for me. Shall give it a try.

Jennifer Jo said...

I'm so glad you're back! I was getting lonely.

Deanna Beth said...

Yes, that is what you're hungry for after all the celebration food! Reb and I had our usual discussion about our Christmases. I said, "I feel sluggish after all the rich food, shell-shocked after all the overstimulation and I realized I always get a headache during the opening of the presents - I had a great time!" She said, "I feel sluggish, shell-shocked and disapproving of all the presents and I'm never celebrating Christmas again!" I think her attitude is actually more reasonable and that makes me sad.

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

I've never successfully made decent biscuits which is a tragedy considering I'm as southern as they come. I'm making note of this recipe.

When do we get to meet the elusive Rebecca? I'm coming to believe that she is a homemaking goddess!