Thursday, September 15, 2022

The Vegetable Dress

This dress turned out so differently from my vision. I'm still not sure I like it or will keep it. . . my vision was for a summer dress that was easy to wear, an everyday dress.


Yes, why did I pick fabric with a white background that needed a full lining? And. . . white? Why, Margo? The vegetables spoke to me, I guess? And the dress I made feels like a sweet, cute 1950s housewife dress - it doesn't feel like me! 

I thought by way of decoration that the skirt lining could peek out with a bit of eyelet lace, but I've gotten well-meaning shocked comments that my slip was sticking out.  Overall, I think the dress is just a bit too sweet for me. 

Funnily enough, I was at the optometrist one week, wearing the dress. The receptionist was so tickled to see there were vegetables on my dress. Then, when I brought Phoebe for her appointment next week, she remembered me (I was surprised - it's a big practice) for wearing the vegetable dress previously! 

Fortunately the side pockets I added are successful. And the blue and white is such a refreshing cool vision on the eyes in the deep sticky stink of a city in summer.

I found the bodice very tedious to fit. I needed to take in the top and let out the bottom, but since the dratted thing is lined and a multi-piece princess style, I had to rip out and the reconfigure twice the number of seams. 

All the photos on this post are by Phoebe! She did a fabulous job.

This dress caused me to think more carefully about my wishes for summer dresses. I did some research on pattern styles, and thought of the clothes I have that I like the most for comfort and personal style. Then, I purged my sewing patterns and carefully bought some different ones. Stay tuned - I fit in some successful sewing in my busy summer!

22 comments:

Jennifer Jo said...

I actually quite love it --- elegant and graceful. Also, your hair is gorgeous!!

Christy Heatwole Kauffman said...

I can see how this doesn't feel like you. Thanks for more reflections. On Instagram I got a whole nother feel. ;) I think it looks great on you, but it seems a little T2 soft, flowy.

Anonymous said...

With all sincerity, the dress looks lovely on you. You did a great job.

Anonymous said...

It may not be what you were aiming for but it's a pretty dress that looks great on you. It could be your summer 'going out' dress.
EfromPDX

Jamie said...

I used to have a skirt that had the design with a bit of lace peeking out on purpose. I also got comments that my slip was showing - very awkward! :) I like your dress though!

Margo said...

Thank you! It was a good hair day.

Margo said...

Thanks, friend - you know me well.

Margo said...

Thank you!

Margo said...

Thank you! But I already have my "going out dresses" so I need to ponder this one. . .

Margo said...

Ha!!

Juliana said...

I have been having similar style issues with dresses I make for some years now; I'm super curious to see what worked for you! It is a cute dress, and the fit is fantastic (well done!), but I can see why it would feel too "sweet" for you. This is often my problem with dresses I make for myself--not gritty enough or something (maybe I just miss the grunge of the 90s? Ha!) Love the vegetables, though. Slightly kitschy but not over the top. :)

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! Totally get the feeling when you just don't think an outfit is you . You look gorgeous and the dress is beautiful.

Betty said...

It's a gorgeous dress and you look fantastic in it!

Lisa said...

So flattering on you, Margo, whether it feels like you or not. Save it for when you want to make an impression. Your garden looks fantastic, and Phoebe's photos are also fantastic!

Anonymous said...

You are so beautiful…….and the dress is too!!!!!!

Nancy In Boise said...

I think it looks great! You did a wonderful job

Amy said...

I understand. My mother had a "house" dress pattern from the 1960's that she made forever. It was a dress and not a cotton robe. I would love to have a dress like that.

Jeanne said...

I did have a laugh about your "slip"! Does anybody wear them anymore? (Well, besides me sometimes, with a particular 1930s-pattern wrap dress that tends to wrap *around my legs* when I walk ... I had to actually make a slip!)

Your own instinct is best, of course, but your dress does look charming --

BLD in MT said...

"And. . . white? Why, Margo? The vegetables spoke to me, I guess? " Ha! That one got me good, Margo. It sounds like something I can SO MUCH hear myself saying. :) And then you doubled down with the shocking so-called slip. I actually think the dress is lovely, myself--though, yes, dangerously light colored perhaps I love the flow and shape of it and the pockets, of course. The fabric is incredibly charming. If nothing else, you got a very entertaining post out of it. But I hope the dress "grows" on you since you had to fuss so much in its construction.

Margo said...

Ha! I love your pun. It is hard for me to let homemade clothes go because I did put so much time into them. I'm letting this dress go dormant over winter and I'll see what growth happened when warm weather comes again :)

BLD in MT said...

Good plan. :)

sillygirl said...

I'm hoping you do another entry soon - it is too cold to look at you in a summer dress - BRRRRRR!