Friday, February 28, 2020

Phoebe Gets Her Quilt

It is a big deal for me to finish a quilt! I started Phoebe's quilt in October 2018 and finished 14 months later.  Now, each of my children sleeps under a quilt I made.  Oh, that makes me happy!

For Phoebe's quilt, I used crib sheets and scraps of clothing that she and we wore.  I limited the colors to pink, blue, and yellow, but I mixed in little exceptions to liven things up.


I am quite serious about sewing down my stash, so I used the white fabric I had on hand for the squares, which means there are actually two slightly different whites.  For a few weeks after I made this choice, I was ashamed; the church of my childhood believed in  matching as part of its religion. For years, I have been slowly growing away from this perfectionism. Quilting and mending are spiritual metaphors for me, I reminded myself, so these whites are my choice to "gather up the fragments and let nothing be lost" (paraphrased from Jesus' words in the book of John after he extended the little boy's lunch of  bread and fish to feed thousands of people).

Another use-it-up material did not work out so well for this quilt.  I bought pink yarn from the creative reuse store, making ties in the center of each pieced star with the goal of little felted balls.  But when I put the finished quilt through a hot wash and dry, the ties would not felt: the yarn was not 100% wool.  Cussing a little and refusing to drive and seek pink wool, I re-did the ties with pink perle cotton in my stash.


I like to work in a bit of machine quilting on my quilts, but it didn't seem to fit in Phoebe's quilt.  So I handquilted the whole thing in white perle cotton, outlining the stars and then highlighting them further with diagonal lines.  I am not fond of quilting that runs all over a quilt, but prefer quilting that works in harmony with the patchwork.


Phoebe's quilt pleases my eye.  She loves it, and so do I.  I am already deep into another patchwork project for the patchwork surprise I adore, as well as the pleasurable mental work of planning and dreaming The Next Quilt until I blink and find myself cutting fabric for it.  I'll keep you posted.

17 comments:

Leisha said...

Your quilts are beautiful! Love this 💚

Naomi Weaver said...

Love Phoebe’s new quilt! You do such beautiful work, Margo. And I love that it’s not just work but a metaphor for your life as well. So glad you’re able to not be root-bound but instead continue to develop into the beautiful woman God created you to be. ��

Nancy said...

I love that you “gave in” to the imperfect white. That’s the way to wholeness, peace and serenity for people like us. 💜

Becky said...

It's hard to move away from the perfect when it's so ingrained in you, but then you discover all the beauty in the imperfect and it's hard to go back. The quilt is beautiful.

Celeste said...

Beautiful.

e said...

A beautiful quilt, made with love and purpose for your amazing youngest child... that *is* perfection.
xoxo

Christy K. said...

LOVE

Margo said...

Thanks, Mama xoxo And "root-bound" is a good metaphor, too

Margo said...

Thanks, Aunt N :) You know me well!

rachel said...

Love it, Margo! Did you make white squares with patchwork corners? Just beautiful.

Nancy In Boise said...

oh that's so gorgeous! And good for you making one for each of your children. I never met my one grandmother but I still have to her quilts that she made by hand back during the Depression era I really cherish them

Margo said...

Thank you! Yes, white squares with a triangle in two opposite corners. I just sewed on a scrap in a diagonal line, and then squared up the corner and trimmed the seam underneath.

Margo said...

Nancy, what a sweet legacy. I have a quilt that my grandma made me, and it is very dear to me, especially since she died.

jenny_o said...

How beautiful! I prefer this kind of quilt to the "manufactured" look. What a lot of work, with all the hand quilting you have done. And it's so nice that Phoebe loves it! Appreciation is always a good thing when you are a creative person.

BLD in MT said...

That quite DID deserve its own post. I'm sorry I'm so slow in getting to read it! I love it. I love that you made it for her and that each of your (increasingly not so) little ones sleep wrapped in a blanket made with such love and care. Hand quilting!!! You are an all star.


"...the church of my childhood believed in matching as part of its religion. For years, I have been slowly growing away from this perfectionism. Quilting and mending are spiritual metaphors for me, I reminded myself, so these whites are my choice to "gather up the fragments and let nothing be lost"..." This made my day. I'll think on it when sewing tonight.

Alica said...

I've been away a long, long time...still getting accustomed to working away from home full time, I think! But I just have to comment on this gorgeous quilt that you made!! What a gift!

Margo said...

Aww, Alica, nice to "see" you here! And thank you :)