Friday, May 8, 2015

Ben Makes Graham Cracker Pudding

On Saturday, he insisted that he wanted to make a recipe that he could do all by himself.  He looked through Mennonite Country-Style and suggested banana tarts, caramel popcorn, or cookies. Take it easy, buddy!  He compromised with me and agreed that graham cracker pudding was a good idea.



I stayed in the kitchen, but he did all the recipe reading, measuring, stirring, etc. by himself.  I was impressed because I haven't done much cooking instruction with him.



And then he was very proud to dish up little bowls of pudding the next afternoon.


I must add that Genevieve was also bit with the cooking bug that same day; she made a lemonade "sirup" from my vintage Joy of Cooking.  (Recipe here - Genevieve used a lemon, a lime, and some bottled lemon juice). It's delicious and very convenient to have in the fridge.  I predict the lemonade syrup will be a staple this summer, and the big girl can make it all by herself.

5 comments:

Alica said...

Mmmm...that drink sounds good! There are some members of my family (who shall remain anonymous!) that don't like plain water. Gasp! I just might have to make this...or better yet, have Jenna make it this summer!

Hazel said...

Well done Ben! It's amazing what they pick up when you don't think they're really paying attention, isn't it?

Polly said...

Well done, Ben!! I am impressed, and inspired to let Finn do some cooking this summer.

Dianna said...

Way to go, Ben!

BLD in MT said...

Look at your kids go! Excellent. And the "sirip"? I am going to have to make some to have in my fridge for a summer treat. Thanks for sharing.