Tuesday, March 24, 2020

My Florida Skirt

This post has literally nothing to do with COVID-19; it is just me getting around to blogging this skirt I made in January.


The best everyday tablecloths I have found are twin sheets from thrift stores.  And one day in November, I came across this ridiculously wonderful queen-size flat sheet with lemon trees, orange groves, egrets, bunnies, and red-roofed Spanish-style villas.  I held it in my hands and could not even guess what I wanted to do with it, but it had to come home with me.  

In December, my husband wangled a way for me to go to Florida with him on a business trip in January.  Suddenly, I realized that I needed to wear that sheet somehow.  I chose a full circle skirt to get as much of that declarative, whimsical print on display as possible. 



I've made half-circle skirts before, but the volume of a full circle skirt really gave me the giggles.  I used an entire package of "spruce green" bias tape on the hem and had to finish with a scrap of blue, which means the bottom circumference of this skirt is about 6 yards.  Six yards of swish at my legs!  Delicious.
The little scraps left from hemming.


I really like the side closure on this skirt that includes the pocket.  It was fairly easy to do. I had some difficulty getting the waistband just the right size - first it was too tight, then I pieced in some ease and it was too big.  But this print serenely disguises lots of things and keeps up the blue sky.

I got to wear my circle skirt for a beach walk and dinner on the deck, although I was shivering by the end because Florida in January is not really balmy and there was a sharp breeze off the Tampa Bay.  But I'm a Northerner and I wanted to wear my Florida skirt in Florida.  Spring is gently rising around us, and I am eager wear this skirt soon again.


20 comments:

Jennifer Jo said...

That is so lovely!!! The top picture makes me think of Spain.

Lisa said...

I love it! Yes, that was a fabulous find, impossible to resist.

e said...

What an improbable and delightful print! Good choice to make a full skirt that keeps so much of the 'story' intact. It looks great on you! Perfect for the beach...

rachel said...

This made me smile. Thanks, Margo!

Nancy In Boise said...

Great idea!!! Love the fabric. Glad you're back and blogging

Lydia Jo said...

You know I love it. It makes my day that we both picked up this same print in a vintage find.

beth s said...


What a FIND! Enjoy that happy new skirt

Margo said...

You're right - it does have stories!! Perhaps I will start writing them down...

Margo said...

Yes!!! It tickles me to know you got the other sheet - and so curious to know *who* owned these sheets around here!

Margo said...

Thank you!

Margo said...

Thank you! We need some happiness :)

Becky said...

Such a fabulous skirt! I love when fabric speaks to us like that.

Christy K. said...

I love reading about news that's different than COVID-19! The skirt and you are beautiful. Plus inspiring pics, especially the one in Florida. Refreshing to see/read in my inbox.

Celeste said...

Lovely! Now I want a circle skirt. Maybe when my littles are a little bigger and I have time for sewing again...

Margo said...

Thank you, friend! I am definitely limiting my exposure to the news :)

sustainablemum said...

What a find and a lovely project to use it for. I love a swirly skirt (as my daughter calls them) they make me want to dance!

Leisha said...

Beautiful. Your posts are always comforting and even more in this crazy world !

jenny_o said...

Love unique prints like that! I often have trouble deciding what to do with them, but keep them just to look at in the meantime. What a beautiful skirt! I hope you get much enjoyment from it once the weather warms up.

Sharon Nolt said...

So glad you figured out what to create from that whimsical cloth.... Love the Florida view of the skirt.

BLD in MT said...

Aaaaahhh-mazing! So much beautiful swish!