Monday, August 19, 2019

Red Sundress, Almost Kitschy

This is a summer work dress: cool and breezy in 100% cotton, printed and dark enough to look decent through splashes and dirt from canning and gardening, and not restrictive at all for lifting and bending and wrangling and the full workout. I love it!


The bandanna fabric could be cutesy and kitschy; I sort of itched to pair it with rick rack or calico or even some crocheted lace.  But no: cute is not my look.  But still: I wanted just a little pizzazz somewhere.


  Look closely at the yoke in the front:  I hand-sewed running stitches in black and white perle cotton around some of the circles and squares!  Subtle and happy. 

Also, inside the dress, I made the channel for the drawstring out of striped blue cotton and finished the hem in light blue bias tape.  I really need a little fizz somewhere in my clothes, a little patchwork effect if you will.


I used this dress pattern seven years ago, the second dress I ever made for myself.  This time around, I did not widen the bodice, and I'm really pleased with the fit.  I wish I had made the red dress a touch longer.  Also, I have to say I no longer own that plaid sundress because the fabric turned out to be part polyester as plaids often can be, and I really cannot abide that wrapped-in-plastic feeling in the summer.

Genevieve took these photos of me as I ripped the unholy mess of cucumbers out of my raised beds.  That was extremely satisfying. 

13 comments:

Christy K. said...

You are so beautiful! Love your creative expression in your handmade clothing.

sk said...

It's so wonderful to have you back.

Becky said...

Completely adorable.

e said...

It would never occur to me to garden in a dress! Still, that gardening dress is very cute and looks super comfortable. Your photographer daughter has a good eye and a steady hand. Cheers!

Dianna said...

It is the perfect dress for gardening!

Nancy In Boise said...

How cute! Your garden looks great! What did you plant, and what are you canning?

Margo said...

Nancy, I planted cucumbers, herbs, and peppers. I have volunteer tomatoes and berry bushes from other years. So far, I've canned lots of pickles, frozen some corn and berries, and have plans for tomatoes and apples coming up.

rachel said...

It's so awesome!! Love it! And you're adorable as always. :) Do you wear slipshorts underneath? I LOVE them under dresses for summer--keep thighs chafe-free and provide extra coverage for sudden breezes. They're cheap and basically make any skirt/dress into a skort!

Margo said...

Hi Rachel, I typically choose dress and skirt fabric that allows me to skip a slip :) Are the slipshorts cotton? If they're poly or something, I would not wear them. I'm all about cotton and linen in the summer.

rachel said...

nope, they're synthetic. but super breathable. i like them because i hate worrying about how i'm sitting or moving in a dress and it gives me extra coverage. and not all skorts fit me well. but i get the natural fabric in the summer!!

jen said...

Your blog is my favourite! Love seeing things you make😄💛🙏

sillygirl said...

Hope nothing has happened to you since you haven't blogged in a while!

Anonymous said...

I see I'm not the only one to miss your blog. Hope you and your family are well!

Mary Beth