Friday, August 17, 2018

Barbecued Chicken

You guys.  I am so overwhelmed by my life right now that I'm treating myself to a few minutes of blog time to cope.  Plus, you need to know that this chicken is delicious and pretty fool-proof and pretty easy.  It's your basic American delicious kind that wants to have all the fresh veggies beside it and some potato salad.  It's not fancy, just satisfyingly good.



I hope you can get some on the grill before grilling season is over.  The overnight brine/marinade is the key to succulent chicken, and the BBQ sauce gets put on at the end of grilling for just enough char.


I see that my sidedish here is coleslaw with wakame (seaweed) in it - a happy discovery from our Maine vacation.  Which, I'm sorry, will have to wait for another post because I need to go wake the napper and pick the big kids up from the pool.  August, you are nuts.


Summer BBQ Chicken

Marinate overnight in the fridge:
3-4 lbs. chicken parts, bone in, skin on
1-2 cups thin yogurt, kefir, or buttermilk
1 Tbsp. salt

At some point, mix up the BBQ sauce in a small saucepan:
1 cup ketchup
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp. paprika (bonus if it's smoked!)
1 Tbsp. chili powder
2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. cayenne, or to taste, optional

Simmer sauce for 5-8 minutes.  Cool.  Keep in jar in fridge. Enough for 9 lbs. chicken or for other recipes.  (You could probably use commercial BBQ sauce - I don't keep it on hand.)

So, back to the marinating chicken. . .
Thirty minutes before grill time (about 1 hour 10 minutes before you want delicious hot chicken), drain off and discard marinade.  Allow chicken to sit at room temp for 30 minutes.

Preheat grill to 400F.  Sear chicken pieces on each side, about 3-4 minutes a side.
Turn heat to low/med and grill for 30 minutes without flipping or peeking. Turn pieces.  Brush topside with BBQ sauce. Continue to grill for 5 minutes.  Flip pieces.  Brush topsides with BBQ sauce.  Grill 5 more minutes.  Done!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you cook the chicken raw on the grill? I always thought you had to boil it a bit first before grilling so it gets cooked all the way without burning.

Margo said...

Yep, you put it raw on the grill. It gets cooked through - check it for doneness by wiggling a joint to see if it wiggles freely, poking and looking for clear juices, or by using a meat thermometer. This recipe has worked beautifully for me so far.

Hazel said...

Anything with a BBQ sauce is popular in this house- I'll definitely put this on the 'to make' list.
The coleslaw sounds interesting- look forward to hearing about that when you get a moment to post!

Becky said...

School starts here Wednesday (TOO EARLY!) but my girl has already had activities start. I'm not ready! I also have no idea when I'm going to get to that half bushel of peaches I bought this morning, but somehow, I'm going to get them in jars!

Lana said...

Summer is almost over and we have not grilled nearly enough but all it has done is rain, rain, rain. This looks wonderful and I am pinning it. We have a TRU infrared grill so we can finally grill chicken without burning it.

Lauren said...

I've been looking for a way to change up our same old, same old grilling situation. This looks delicious!