Friday, October 13, 2017

Plain Office Curtains

My husband asked for plain curtains for his narrow little office where one wall is a door and a window.  He wanted privacy and climate control and nothing fussy (read: black rectangles). 

I picked up a bundle of fabric at the creative reuse store for a couple bucks, only to discover it was knit fabric when I got it home to wash. I have had mixed success sewing knits so that the seams do not bubble.  I have tried the faux serger stitches on my machine on various projects. I think the deciding factor is how the knit itself behaves with sewing, which I don't know how to predict. This black knit turned out fine.  I used a small zig-zag stitch and pressed the hems firmly when I was done.


I clipped the rectangles to the wire and clips my husband got at Ikea.  He is pleased, and I am pleased to have a curtain success!

9 comments:

e said...

I avoid knits as well. 'black rectangles'... lol!

Alica said...

Hey, if black rectangles is what he wants... :) Good job on the curtains!

I'm trying to figure out from his office what kind of a career he might have. I'm guessing architect or draftsman.

Margo said...

Yes, he is an architect :)

Lana said...

I love that his office is just as messy as my husband's office. I am sure he says he knows where everything is so don't touch anything! But seriously, I know what you mean about knits.

sk said...

Wait. He said, Waah, Margo, I want curtains. Or did you say Huh, this room is hideous, you need something over the windows, so then he said, Okay, sure, and you said, What kind do you want?

Which was it?

Margo said...

sk, you forget he is an architect and very interested in style. So I would not presume to tell him his office needed curtains, nor would I dictate what kind. I save my decorating arguments and energy for rooms I live in too :)

Becky said...

Success! I was going to guess he was an architect after seeing his office. And who else would like black squares?

sk said...

Then, Margo, you are the perfect couple. Birds of a kind.

jenny_o said...

It is so satisfying to have a sewing win! It doesn't have to happen every project, but it needs to happen sometimes! ha ha