Thursday, October 26, 2017

A Green Cloak for Ben

This cloak came about because Ben was dragging a fleece blanket everywhere around the house this fall.  My husband jokingly suggested I should make Ben a cape.  This made sense on every level to me. So I bought 4 yards of green fleece (his favorite color) and set to work.  I used a girl's size 6 pattern that I had already, just lengthening it and moving the arm-slits down a bit.  I have plans to make a wool cloak for Genevieve so I will show you the pattern then. The fleece was so easy to work with because it doesn't fray.  No hem needed! Ben found the perfect green buttons in my stash.




Ben wears the cloak every day in lieu of clothes or pajamas - it probably functions as a security blanket at this point, and I am wary of depriving him of it to wash it.

 It will probably be his Halloween costume, too - a green Jedi, maybe, or Robin Hood like my sister suggested.  I think we can agree that the cloak is a definite success!


8 comments:

Jennifer Jo said...

I LOVE IT!!!!!

My younger daughter just purchased a red cape from Ebay. All three of the younger kids love capes, and my younger son, who drags blankets around CONSTANTLY, would totally dig this.

Alica said...

It looks so warm and cozy!! I need something like that to wear in our cold house on these cold nights!

Lisa said...

I should say so! He must be so warm now!

Hazel said...

My son would have loved that when he was younger. Actually, he probably still would, secretly! Ben often reminds me of him at that age.
Actually, I was thinking of you the other day. Barney has just started an agricultural engineering course with John Deere and I thought Ben and your Dad would be pleased!

Margo said...

Hazel, how sweet! I'll tell both of them :)

Christy K. said...

What a lucky boy!!

jenny_o said...

I always felt making costume-y items was one of the most fun things to do with my sewing skills! This is a great cape; I can see why Ben would love it :)

Becky said...

I love this! Mine carries around a slew of fleece blankets all the time - including her snuggie. I wonder if she would like something like this?