Monday, May 22, 2017

Steeping Tea the Pretty Way

There are these lacy cloth things that I've seen in old-fashioned kitchen that are used as lids.  Sometimes they even have beads dangling at their edges to weight them down.  So I rooted through my bag of doilies that I keep for sewing projects and found a suitable "lid."


I often put tea that is steeping for iced tea outside my kitchen window to keep every little bit of heat out of the house that I can, but I don't want anything or any critter to drop into my tea.  I also don't want a metal lid to seal to the jar during steeping. So now I have a pretty, breathable lid for my jar.  Does anyone know more about this method - is there a name for this fabric cover?

9 comments:

Tammy said...

After a few searches, it looks like they're called pitcher covers or jug covers or milk jug covers. :)

Alica said...

You just reminded me to cut my tea today! :) Just curious what the effect of a metal lid is?

Margo said...

Hi Alica! I just don't want the lid to seal to the jar, which it often does from the prolonged steamy heat. No other negative effects that I know about.

Carole said...

I have heard of a "tea cozy". Could that be the name of it?

Becky said...

That looks so much prettier than the old dishtowels I use on my jars when making kombucha! I should upgrade.

e said...

I've never heard of these, but what a great idea! Small ones would also be great for those times when one is sitting outside with a neighbor and a glass of wine. I had to fish a gnat out of my glass last Saturday. :-)

sillygirl said...

Just a reminder about making sun tea:

http://www.snopes.com/food/prepare/suntea.asp

LOVE AND XXXX said...

My Nanna always had those covers for her milk jug, jam pot and sugar bowl. She said they were meant to keep out the dust and prevent bees stealing the jam if outside having tea and scones. My Nanna is British like me. I crochet myself one and I put the beads on it to weight it down like my Nannas. Love your blog. Thanks.
Diana

Polly said...

Oohh, I like that!! Pretty sure I have at least one of those floating around my house--inherited from a grandma.

I just let the jar seal and pop it open (always using an old lid). Maybe I shouldn't!