First I made a runner for a dresser top next to the changing table (circa 1970! I love that about our church - sticking with the old things because there's nothing wrong with them except the latest style).
I was continuing the jewel tones started by another mom. The runner is not strictly flat, but since its function is really decorative and I also used up scraps, I let it go.
This is a single-thickness coverlet for one of the cribs. I thought each crib should have a heavier blanket and a lighter cover for warm weather. I did cut into yardage for the yellow, but the duckie applique is from a vintage sheet in my stash.