I'm enjoying myself, really. I know for a fact that nothing was ready when Genevieve made her surprise appearance (3 1/2 weeks early) and I have an absolute blank about preparations before Ben (I had a toddler running around - I think that accounts for it).
I've noticed the young things using nursing covers, and I love this idea for times when I want to stay with the people or the activity, but the baby needs to nurse. I doubt I will use the cover at home or around familiar people; I doubt I will even use the cover as the baby gets older and we become brisk nursing partners (positive thinking here). So I didn't fuss much with making this cover. I used this tutorial. It said nothing about fabric weight, but I think the gingham I chose is too lightweight because the piece of boning doesn't hold the cover out far enough from my body. I'm thinking of stitching on some fabric or ric-rac in horizontal rows to give it some more heft.
I also did not have the specified D-rings, so I modified the straps to use what I had on hand: three cute little white buttons, no need to match.
Now, after reading AmyK's comment on my previous post about wipes, I decided to alter my system to her practical method. I bought a cute metal mug at Old Navy - big enough for my fist to fit in, sturdy enough that the children can't break it when I ask them to refill it. Normally I would sleuth around for a nice vintage or used mug that cost less than $8, but see the first paragraph above re: dramatic surprise any day now.
The vintage tray, a lucky find at a cute shop downtown, is so that water drips don't land on the wooden desk that we're repurposing as a baby changing table.
And here is a photo of my kitchen this morning, as I dared the baby to come while I got several projects going (Rosie said the best way to get a baby to come is to start a multi-step project that the baby can derail).