I have used zucchini to make pickles instead of cucumbers. I use whichever is easier or cheaper to get my hands on.
We like Surprising Zucchini Salad.
Grilled Zucchini (like filets, my husband says). And grilled zucchini in ratatouille.
I made a list of recipes that we like that use shredded zucchini. I put it in the front of my supper notebook, and then I shred and freeze zucchini in the amounts of the recipes. The list becomes a handy reminder in the winter when I come across a jar of shredded zucchini in the freezer and stare at it blankly.
1. zucchini cookies from Simply in Season - there are lots of zucchini cookies out there; these have raisins, walnuts, and spice in them
2. zucchini-crusted pizza from Moosewood
3. zucchini yeast rolls from Simply in Season
4. A shredded zucchini brownie that is delicious and economical: Frosted Zucchini Brownies.
5. Tasty vegetarian crab cakes.
6. And these delicious cornmeal cookies from Martha Stewart.
The photos are of my zucchini experiment: fermented zucchini "slaw." Got the idea from Rebecca and she has since told me it was too strange to be edible. Oh rats. UPDATED: See Rebecca's comment in the comments section. I rushed down to the basement and found that my zucchini was perfectly fermented and delicious! I immediately put it in the fridge to slow down any tendency towards algae-texture.
Can you help a sister out with any other zucchini ideas?