I wanted to use dark colors for the pails because I'm not sure how washable they are (I used an old vinyl tablecloth for the inside, not oilcloth as LiEr prefers; this is the red-striped tablecloth that I used to put under the children's highchair - let's pause and contemplate the rapidity of childhood and the nostalgic touchstones that pop up).
So. I had blue, orange and brown twill to work with. I scoured my stash for prints that looked fun and reflected my kids' personalities, but were not too juvenile - what if these pails actually last a few years? Plus, Genevieve wanted to help choose the fabrics for hers.
And following LiEr's excellent, clear pattern, I successfully sewed piping! Behold.
It required the zipper foot, but nothing too taxing.
On the whole, these pails went together quickly. LiEr included nice touches like pressing templates (which I skipped and it's obvious if you know where to look) and explanations for techniques. I like that. I feel like I was taught by LiEr's pattern, a new experience for me since I've only used commercial patterns before.
I'm afraid these pails leaned more towards the Grandma Weaver side of my sewing, however, because school was breathing down my neck.
|Seams don't match so I hid it under the strap; the world is still extant.|
But they are done, and the children love them. Next I want to show you Ben's first-day-of-school shirt.