Saturday, September 3, 2011

Semolina Gnocchi

I thought there were only potato gnocchi in the nice restaurants.  Then I stumbled across gnocchi alla Romana - easy, easy discs of cheesy, buttery goodness.


Really good pasta is made from semolina flour (these gnocchi use semolina flour, which isn't cheap), but these are pasta's country cousins. You cook the semolina flour in milk as if making oatmeal or polenta, then add some eggs and dump the whole goo out on a countertop or (playing it safe) cookie sheet. 




When it's stiff, cut or pat it into little circles. Genevieve likened it to play dough.

 Shingle in a baking dish, add some dabs of butter and Parmesan and bake. . . oh delicious.


This time I served them with a beet and dill sauce from Moosewood on the side (pictured in the blue and white striped bowl), and brown-butter green beans from the backyard garden.  And to put it right over the top, there were perfect summer tomatoes too.

(Gnocchi recipe here.  I've read a number of similar recipes, so here are my tweaks to this one: I do not add cheese to the batter; I don't fuss with the buttered parchment paper or refrigeration.  I don't drizzle cream on the top.)

4 comments:

Kristen said...

Thank you for the recipe! Gnocchi are one of my favorite pasta treats (my grandmother knows how to make them but doesn't too often anymore) but the store-made ones aren't that good and they are hard to find in restaurants. I think I'll give this a try!

Jacinta said...

Yummo. Love gnocchi. Have only made them with potato though. Would have it all the time if it wasn't so time consuming to make from scratch.

Beth said...

I've never had gnocchi of any kind. Can I pop in for a spoonful?! :-)

It all sounds so summery and comfort food-y. Yum!

Lisa said...

You know Margo, I'd not heard of semolina gnocchi, but they can also be made of cornmeal (guess I should say polenta); I always preferred those, but haven't made them.