Thursday, September 1, 2011

Early Sunday Morning

I was finishing my Junior Youth Sunday school lesson, with a cup of tea, and the burpcloths close by so I would remember to take them to the new parents that morning.  We're having a little baby boom at church - so fun.

But I never actually used that lesson because one of Doris Janzen Longacre's daughter came and spoke to an adult Sunday school class, and I just hitched my junior youth onto that class because I wanted to hear her speak. 

Doris Janzen Longacre wrote the More with Less cookbook, and large parts of Living More with Less. . . but she couldn't finish it because she died of cancer in her 30s, leaving behind her girls and husband. We've been reading and discussing the new edition of Living More with Less this summer.


Doris Janzen Longacre had a fair amount of adversity in her life (I learned from her daughter) - she was homeschooled because of her severe asthma, and in fact, her family moved to Arizona and she finally got strong there.  Her asthma came back with a vengeance when she and her husband served the church in Indonesia - she almost died then. 


But a few years later, just as she was about to start a master's degree in nutrition, she was diagnosed with breast cancer and given two years to live.  Her daughter quoted from her journals, how Doris did not want "to leave the party early. . . " how she forced herself to cook on her low days because "the act of creating restores and brightens our spirits - how was God changed when he created our world?"


Doris was in her late 30s when she died. . . my age.  It hurts me to imagine that.

Dear Doris, you always inspire me.  I will not allow pain, worry, or sadness to be in charge of my life.  I can cook, I can sew, I can pray to be led into new life, new hope. 

(photos of that Sunday morning, then of my creative uplifting:  potholder, sewing pattern, and plum and peach tart.)

Linking up with Leila's collection of capturing everyday contentment.

8 comments:

Jennifer Jo said...

Her husband goes to our church. One time he came to our adult SS class to talk about the books. I wrote about it here: http://bit.ly/ondeF0

BLD in MT said...

Thank you for such an inspiring post. We can all take a lesson from Doris. Thank you for sharing.

Julia said...

" how she forced herself to cook on her low days because 'the act of creating restores and brightens our spirits...'"

That's very inspirational. I am a musician on the side and when I make myself practice even when I don't feel like it I always feel much better. I can of course apply this to so many other endeavors in life as well. As you state, "I will not allow pain, worry, or sadness to be in charge of my life..."

Lisa said...

Your tart looks quite delicious!!

Unknown said...

Oooo! Do I see the beginnings of a new dress? ; )

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

Thank you for the pleasant reminder of what is important.

Tart? Yes, please!

Margo said...

Eva, I love the pattern, but it's not my size - so it's in the shop. But yes, I am dreamng up a new dress :)

Leila said...

Yes, when we create -- even little things -- we are renewed. I love your creations!