Thursday, September 13, 2018

More Thoughts on Straws

When I made a straw roll-up for my purse, my dear friend Rachel asked me to make her one, too.  And another one for utensils (the red one pictured below).  I had so much fun putting together fun scraps for her! 

And I love that I was inspired to ditch disposable straws by a PTO dad, and then my blog post inspired Rachel.  I think little actions can have wide ripples and little actions are worth doing!



I do not always remember to whip out my straws.  We don't go out to eat very often, so I'm not in the habit the way I am taking reusable bags into any store I'm shopping at.

Sometimes restaurant servers will lay down a handful of straws on the table and then that's easy to push them aside and pull out my reusable straws.  Sometimes the server will bring the waters with the straws already in them, with the paper left on top.  So that's a bummer, because those straws are destined for the trash already, whether we drink through them or not. 


Recently at a restaurant, there was a sign on the table that drinks are served without straws unless you request one.  Now that's a successful approach!  It prompts people to thought and choice.


6 comments:

Alica said...

I know some friends who would LOVE this idea! And I just couldn't help but notice how big Phoebe is getting! No longer the toddler, but a little girl! :)

e said...

I'm just glad that attention is being brought to the issue of disposables, whether straws or anything else. The more we request 'No straw, please', the better for our planet.
Thank you for doing your part! And, I love your straw roll-up!

Becky said...

When we were at the beach last month, the dog dug up a plastic straw while digging and promptly brought it over to me for proper disposal. My dog gets it, why don't humans?
(And just to clarify, my dog is a rescue who never learned to play fetch - so she wasn't trying to play.)

Lana said...

We have watched unused straws still in wrappers being put in the trash if the diners do not use them so we try to stop the server before they put them on our table. More and more places do not offer them anymore. We use our stainless steel straws at home most everyday and have had guests at our house tell us they will only use a straw if it is not a disposable one.

Hazel said...

I forget my straws sometimes too, for the same reason.
I like your thoughts about the ripple effect. On the same day I read another post in a similar vein- maybe there is hope.
I've just discovered Girlguiding UK has a Plastic-free World badge which I'm going to do with my Rainbows (5-7 year old girls). Maybe I can continue the ripple...

rachel said...

LOVE my straw roll-up! I carry it and my reusable utensils in my bag everywhere, and that's helped me to remember to use them.