Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Cardamom Balls for the Lunchboxes

Blink, and summer is over and I'm packing lunches again.  Honestly, I don't love packing lunches.  And right now, I've got my hands full with competing freelance projects and canning, so I need easy easy easy and quick.

Cardamom Balls save the day!




I love the flavor of these because I adore cardamom, but also, the honey and walnuts put me in mind of baklava.  Except I'm sure that baklava is very time consuming to make, so right now, I'm sticking with the Cardamom Balls.  Also?  They don't heat up my kitchen because they're no-bake! And they're nutritious!  They really have saved many of my days recently.





Cardamom Balls - passed on to me by Sharon from church, who got it from Audrey, who is the daughter of friends from church; Sharon brought Cardamom Balls to several church events and I begged for the recipe, lost it, and begged again

Mix together:
1 cup rolled oats
3 Tbsp. tahini (could sub in ground sesame seeds with a little peanut butter as needed)
1/2 cup ground flax seed
1/4 cup grated coconut
1 1/2 cups finely chopped walnuts
1 1/2 tsp. ground cardamom
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2-3/4 cup honey (start with lesser amount, use more for texture)

I'm never very exact with these measurements.  The main thing you are aiming for is a texture that can be made into balls or pressed into bars (8x8 pan, approximately).  Store in fridge to maintain texture and freshness.  Excellent with a glass of milk or black coffee.  Totally lunchbox-approved.

6 comments:

Zoë said...

I'm not a fan of the lunch box either. Poor Jada said recently, "Must you send me all the fresh things all the time?" I guess she's tired of cherry tomatoes and pepper slices already...

I need to a little more creative but yes, time is an issue these last weeks of August and the beginning of September! Tomorrow there's apples awaiting me. The tomatoes and peppers need picked. And I MUST get my fall greens planted! Not to mention the fact that I would still rather be laying around on the couch. Ugh :)

Sew Blessed Maw [Judy] said...

these so so good.. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

kyleann33 said...

These sound delicious. And I love the photo of your children in the kitchen together!

beth said...

They sound lovely. I need to try this out. ;)

Unknown said...

Great idea, I make haystacks too...

jenny_o said...

I wonder if there is ANYONE who enjoys packing lunches ... it is not my favourite chore either. All the more reason to give these a try - thanks.