For this shirt, a school uniform polo with mysterious brown stains, I felt creative, so I sewed on some twigs, flowers, and leaves. I cut the shapes I wanted from some scraps of polyester double-knit (well, the twig is brown satin ribbon) - it's generally advisable to applique knit onto knit and woven onto woven. The fabrics wear and move the same way, helping the applique to last longer.
I kept my bobbin in white thread and then changed the top thread as I went along, choosing thread colors several shades lighter or darker than the fabric I was sewing on. I couldn't cover every single stain, but the design really distracts the eye from the spots. This is still a play shirt, but I got to have fun while I learned more about how to control fabric and color to my satisfaction.
|These are the cut-offs with bias tape, turned up to improve their appearance.|
I thought the results were pretty. Just like my daughter.