So, I defrosted a turkey and a pile of beef bones. I roasted the turkey (and nearly burned it - that's woe to tell another time) and put the carcass in my big slow cooker with the usual stuff.
I used a new method for the beef bones: I borrowed an 18-quart electric roaster from my church and set it down in my basement to cook the beef stock. The smell of beef stock cooking is not pleasant - I don't know why.
I cooked these stocks for 5 days, night and day, checking them every day. By the end, the stock was rich and dark and I could break the bones with my hands. The children were fascinated by the crumbling bones, so I saved some for them to play with. I used my fat separator to put a small amount of fat back into the stock, but I still have a bowl full of tallow in the fridge! More soap-making in my future!
Then I borrowed Rebecca's pressure canner and canned all the stock.
|jars of stock|
I was about 80% convinced I needed to invest in a pressure canner. Rebecca told me I should can one more thing in the pressure canner to get over the hump before I return it to her, so I made and canned baked beans without reading the canner booklet obsessively or calling Rebecca six times; subsequently, I've started shopping around for a pressure canner. (I'd love to hear your pressure canner success stories!)
Just in time because Ben is fighting a nasty stomach virus (despite this, we've had a pretty healthy winter, overall). I was happy to give him some homemade chicken stock and jasmine rice for supper tonight. I'm 90% certain he's over the worst of it.
No more percentages tonight. Off to sew and then to bed. Pin It