Monday, June 14, 2021

Our Really Big House

 Living in close quarters through a pandemic changes how we think about our houses, doesn't it? I always liked the open floor plan of our first floor - made it easy to supervise little kids, seemed light and open.  But in the pandemic, we realized we didn't have doors to close on spaces when a number of us needed to be on separate screens, on separate Zooms (oh, Zoom, how we hate and need thee). 

My husband and I crunched the numbers and decided to take over the rest of the second floor apartment. When we bought our three-storey house, each floor was an apartment. When Genevieve was a newborn, we renovated the house to add interior stairs and create a first floor apartment for us that included part of the second floor. Over the years, we have gradually nibbled away at the second floor apartment until 2 weeks ago when we swallowed it entirely. 


Glory be, we added another bedroom, a family room, and a bathroom! Now our girls have separate rooms, which is a wonderful development in their relationship. Now I have an actual desk in our family room instead of just a drawer next to the dining room table. 


It feels incredibly luxe to not have to wait for someone else in the bathroom, to have masses of storage in the new bathroom, to have a second fridge in the apartment kitchen (and sink and stove, but the fridge is what I immediately put into use). We even have a second staircase to access our new space. 


It's disorienting, honestly. The first night in the new bedroom, I kept worrying about my babies, spread out all over this huge house. I'm still a little puzzled about how much desk stuff to take up to my desk and how much to leave in the dining room, which I have realized is the nerve center of the house.



We had to acquire some more furniture and organizing things. I did my best to buy second-hand items from local sources. The way I see it, not only is this cost-effective, but better for the planet than manufacturing new (cheaply made) stuff that is shipped from everywhere. But oh my, I am also now experiencing the big-house effect, where I have doubled the bathroom equipment, added more bedroom furniture for Genevieve, and considering how many duplicate desk supplies I need upstairs that are already in use at other desks. We have another air conditioner in a window, too, now, which I recognize as really helpful in our swampy summers, but hate the enlargement of our carbon footprint. Living in small spaces makes us efficient, for sure. 


9 comments:

Nancy In Boise said...

Wow that's great! Kids growing up, room to expand. Recycling is the way to go for sure!

Becky said...

Needs must as they say. I feel you on the open floorplan not working out during the pandemic (boy do I feel that), but we don't have an apartment to take over to help out. We do however, have a girl going off to college in the fall, so that will help with our pandemic crowding.
Extra bathrooms are always a good thing. Enjoy!

Vicki Marvin said...

I love your big, old beautiful house! It's in amazing shape! Love the bathroom! I feel every bit of this - the luxury and excitement yet angst - as I felt the same way when we moved to a larger home.

e said...

It must feel so nice to spread out! I'm sure G & P love having their own rooms... at least Genevieve must.
I have a two-story house that has held quite a few people at one time (I think 6 at the most), but now it's just me. I have a sewing room! And a guest room! But, I sure don't have any empty space. Lol.

Margo said...

Ha! We really do spread out to the space we have, don't we?! (A sewing room - be still my heart - it will come to me again one day, I am sure)

Margo said...

Thank you! We think that bathroom black and white tile dates to the 1930s and if you look close, it does show its age. But I think of that as stories and patina. . .

Margo said...

Oh my, college - amazing. Our plan is to shrink back down to a smaller space as ours start leaving for college. We'll see. . .

Jennifer Jo said...

Oh wow --- such fun! And I like your insights re the cost (not just financial) on "spreading out." I'm eager to hear the ups and downs of how it changes the family dynamics.

BLD in MT said...

My, my! Big changes over in your house. How exciting! (And stressful, and...) I hope it proves to be the configuration you all need right at this segment of your lives. The proper space is so essential for creativity (in its myriad forms) and calm. Good thing you created the apartment as a space that you would have liked to live in back then...since that's how it ended up now! I sorta love that. Excellent foresight.