Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Magic Elderberry Elixir

My friend and neighbor Jess told me elderberry was great. Rebecca told me it was great and sent it with her kids to college. I finally thought I would try, too.



I used Wellness Mama's very simple recipe; I bought dried elderberries at a local grocery store, $4 for the amount needed for this recipe (locals, email me and I'll hook you up). The other ingredients are raw honey, water, cloves, cinnamon, and gingerroot, making this much less expensive than commercial versions. 

I figured it would be like taking vitamin C or putting extra garlic in the chicken soup when we had colds - just another tool to possibly shorten the length of the cold.  But no! I am convinced that taking elderberry syrup has literally killed several colds in our family already this fall! No one has taken to bed with a cold. No one has gone through more than a few hankies before we upped the dosage of elderberry and pow, the cold has entirely disappeared. 


For general maintenance, we take a half teaspoon or a teaspoon a day. We either take it straight or mix it with a little water.  When we feel cold-like sypmtoms, we take that dosage several times a day. We all like the taste of the syrup except Ben, who falls on the floor in dramatic horror every time I force him to take some. Whatever, Ben. You haven't missed out on any fun because of elderberry syrup, so your protests are in vain. 

12 comments:

Unknown said...

I've also started making this for my family this fall - and interestingly enough, I used the same recipe you did!

Margo said...

Ha! Is it working well for your family? I feel like it's magic

Hattie said...

That photo of a very grown up looking Phoebe with the glasses on her head made me smile.

Jennifer Jo said...

We're drowning in colds over here --- I need to make this!

Jennifer said...

We drowning in colds over here --- I need to try this!

e said...

This sounds like a winner! I think I'll hunt down some elderberries!
(Also, I agree with Hattie about that picture of Phoebe. What a big kid she is getting to be!)

Lana said...

I agree with Ben. I abhor the stuff and my Hubby loves it. We take D3 daily and never get sick and if we do it is a very short illness. I suspect that this is why elderberry works so well is it's high vitamin D content. I am happy to pop my 5000 IU soft gel every morning.

Margo said...

Lana, interesting! I haven't done any research on why elderberry is so effective.

Margo said...

She believes she's an adult :)

Christy K. said...

I made the syrup yesterday with your recipe in the Instant Pot. Boy, is that fast, and it's so yummy. Thanks for inspiring me to make it.

Margo said...

Yay! Hope it gives you a healthy winter

Kim said...

Ha, I loved the photos of your son's dramatics!!! I have noticed that since last year I have not had a cold. I have been making smoothies every morning with cranberries, blueberries, kale, yogurt, avocado and sometimes I throw in some other stuff, like crabapple jelly that didn't jell, or red current slush that I keep in the freezer. Anyhow, I swear it is likely the cranberries that are keeping me so healthy. I used to get every cold going. I live in Ontario Canada, and our winters last for a long time.