Saturday, January 19, 2019

Beet Sauce

Now the local produce is dwindling from the root cellars.  I'm not that interested in shipped produce, especially imported with its high carbon footprint.  So I'm still buying roots and sometimes even finding new, delicious ways to prepare them. 

Here is beet sauce, from The New Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie Katzen.  I have actually blogged about it before, but I'll give you a clearer recipe and some more ideas.  Because it is absolutely delicious - the best idea of Harvard beets without the syrupy over-sweetness.


I bought a quart of beets recently at market.  I put them all in a covered casserole and baked them until they were soft, then rubbed off their skins in cool water while they were hot. You can do this in a slow cooker, too. 

Two of the beets went into the sauce.  Then I also took two beets and two wrinkly apples and chopped them up, adding a little mayo and some toasted walnuts:  beet and apple salad from the More With Less.  Perfect next to shepherd's pie and broccoli.

The remaining beets will probably be used as vegetables in a green salad, although it's easy to dress cooked beets with a vinaigrette, sprinkle with feta or blue cheese, maybe some walnuts, and serve on a bed of greens.


Beet Sauce
2 medium beets, cooked and peeled, roughly chopped

Add to blender with:
1/2 cup orange juice
2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 Tbsp. cider vinegar
2 tsp. honey
1/2 tsp salt
several grinds black pepper

Puree.  Taste.  Add a little something if needed (I can assure you, I am not getting out teaspoons and tablespoons for this! I am using glugs and dollops). Katzen also recommends minced fresh mint or tarragon, which I have never bothered with.

Serve this sauce room temperature with hardboiled eggs, macaroni and cheese, semolina gnocchi, or something potato-y.  Even avocado toast. . .

What do you do with beets?

3 comments:

Becky said...

We are fairly recent beet converts, so I don't get fancy with serving them. Roasted, on a salad with goat cheese or feta. Sometimes I serve them over cooked grains (like barley) and tossed with greens. My husband is still not a fan, but my girl is.

Emma said...

Amazing post with lots of informative and useful and amazing content. Well written and done!! Thanks for sharing keep posting.

John Vacuum said...

Now i know how to cooking eggs.