Wednesday, July 11, 2018

All My Faves Hotpads

My old hotpads were stained with that greasy feel that only partly abates after washing.  Some of the edges were flame-crisped, too (oops).  Time for some new ones! 

I dug through my piece bag and pulled out all my favorite scraps that said "happy kitchen" to me.



Such a good feeling to grab these bright hotpads out of the drawer.  They are my go-to hotpads for size and thickness.  For filler this time, I used one layer of old towel sandwiched inbetween some knit fabric scraps. For me, this is enough heft for heat protection while still allowing give and bending. 

9 comments:

Jennifer Jo said...

Beautiful! I love new hotpads. Unfortunately, they become old ones all too fast.

Becky said...

Very cute. All the hotpads I've made for myself didn't have enough filling in them, so they were a bit of a fail. My current set have silicone on one side that wipes off easily, so I suspect I'll have them for a while.

Lisa said...

You are the hotpad queen, or genius, whichever you prefer. Both, really. Just enlarge that method, Margo, and the resulting quilts would be fabulous. I'm telling you! :D

Nancy In Boise said...

Sweet!

Shauna said...

Very nice and useful! I use both hot pads and oven mitts but I recently burnt one of my oven mitts half to ashes. I like the cheery fabric scraps you chose!

Theresa Y said...

Love It!

e said...

Isn't it wonderful to make something out of scraps that gives you pleasure every time you use it? The hotpads are beautiful!

Kara said...

Your hotpads are one of my favorite things in my kitchen! They bring a little bit of joy every time I use them. I’d like to make some to use up some scraps I have on hand- did you follow a pattern or just figure it out through trial and error?

Margo said...

Kara, thank you! I've tried a number of methods for hotpads and always used scrappy stuff I had on hand. You'll want some felted wool or old towel for the middle, 1-3 layers depending how thick you want. You can quilt some lines across the stack of top/filling/bottom by hand or by machine - that gives some strength, but also some stiffness if you want that. I bind my hotpads with bias tape, but you can totally just zig-zag the edges - see these I did: http://thriftathome.blogspot.com/2013/11/more-vintage-style-hotpads.html

Happy to discuss more!