Thursday, January 29, 2015

The Layette: Baby Washcloths

Isn't a layette a quaint, charming concept?  A layette is simply a complete baby wardrobe for a new baby.  Our new baby doesn't need very much because I saved pretty much everything from the first two babies.  My dad very generously allows us to store things in his garage a few blocks away, so over the past two months, I have inched through the sorting of baby paraphernalia one box at a time.

I found three changing pad covers for a contoured changing pad (which was totally worn out and discarded years ago - I'm definitely buying a new one as I don't see any homemade options that work as well).  One of the covers let out that telltale ripple of pops when I tested the elastic - yes, the elastic had expired.  However, the yellow cotton terrycloth was still reasonably plush and soft, so I decided to cut it into baby washcloths.


Now, strictly speaking, a baby can be washed with any washcloth around, but since baby washcloths are adorable and I had the materials in front of me, I indulged my desire for cuteness.


I cut squares with rounded corners so I wouldn't have to miter any 90-degree corners which would create pokey corners that could irritate baby's delicate skin (if we're making baby washcloths, we might as well fall in with the whole "delicate skin" approach).

I made bias tape from cute flowered calico and used a zig-zag stitch to catch both sides as I sewed it on.  Now I have five cute baby washcloths for essentially free because all these materials came from my stash.


And yes, all those flowers mean that we are having a little girl.  Certain children in this family have needed some time to get used to the idea that this baby is a sister, not a brother. Someone has even suggested that maybe the ultrasound was wrong or that the baby might miraculously change into a boy. . . .but I think those wishes are in the past now, and we are all eager to meet our little girl.

15 comments:

Tammy said...

Pretty! I love it when I have all the materials for a project!

Congratulations on baby girl!!!

Tammy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alica said...

What fun! And congratulations on another girl!

sarah e. said...

Congratulations on the new little girl on the way!!! I've been reading your blog for several years now, and it's definitely one of my favorites. I'm sorry I don't find the time to comment more often... Thanks so much for sharing what you do and for all the inspiration you provide others. Can't wait to hear about the arrival of your dear baby!

Dianna said...

Your washcloths are beautiful. I like to have lots of washcloths around when babies start eating solid foods.

My five-year-old daughter had just the same reaction to our ultrasound revealing a little boy as your son did to yours. She seemed to think he might change to a girl if she wished hard enough. I actually brought her to the next ultrasound so she could see the proof. But now she loves him and tells me regularly she's glad he's a boy.

Rachel said...

woo hoo!!! another girl!!! really excited for all of you :)

Anna said...

First of all, these are utterly darling. Secondly, rounded corners to avoid mitering!! Brilliant!! You've rocked my world just a wee bit today.

jenny_o said...

Something from nothing (or nearly nothing!) - don't you love it? These are terribly cute.

I have a question. How do you manage to catch both sides of the binding in one pass with the sewing machine? I have tried and tried this, with no success. The technique I use is to stitch from the wrong side of the bias, through the material to be bound, then flip the bias over to the back and slipstitch the other side by hand. I would love to know how to do it in one go on the machine.

And congratulations on another girl! Poor Ben in the middle of two sisters - lol! He suffers, that one :)

Margo said...

Jenny_o, I frequently use the method you described, especially for hotpads and quilts. Commercial double-fold bias tape is not folded exactly down the middle - one edge sticks out slightly. Put this wider edge UNDER the fabric edge you're encasing and sew your seam on the narrower edge, thus ensuring that the stitch catches both bias edges. I sometimes try to mimic this fold with homemade bias tape, but a zig zag stitch catches both edges well enough for a project like this. Hope that's clear enough. . .

Jennifer Jo said...

A girl!!!

harknessangels said...

Congratulations! Love the washcloths!

Unknown said...

My sister just found out she's having a girl too...I'm enjoying watching you progress together ; )

Anonymous said...

I had to laugh at Ben's adjustment to the Little sister idea.. Reminded me of my only grandson [he is 6 yrs older than his sisters]..He has 2 girl cousins and twin sisters.. When parents went to get the ultra sound and it showed 2 girls..he was devastated.. He just could not understand
WHY one of them couldn't be a brother? He said, There are two of them, just change one of them for a brother. Needless to say, that didn't happen.lol
so bless his heart. he still is the only boy in amongst 4 girls.
Love the washcloths..

Sarah Barry said...

These are precious. And congrats on baby girl! So wonderful.

Polly said...

A girl! How sweet!! I am so happy for you!!!

And the layette is the sweetest concept. You are right; why not make the baby washcloths cute? I wish I'd been interested in sewing back when I was pregnant with my oldest--I would have had a lot of fun with babystuffs! But better late than never!