Tuesday, August 19, 2014

We Call It Creamed Corn

The hipsters call it "fresh corn polenta."  Run raw ears of corn over a grater or a corn creamer, melt some butter in a saucepan, put the corn glop and liquid in, and cook until thickened.  Salt generously.

Around here, creamed corn is eaten as a side dish, usually at a meal where there are mashed potatoes also.  Some people really like their baby food carbs!

However, I got the idea from the hipsters to serve a dippy egg over the creamed corn, with a few shavings of Parmesan, some herbs, and a lot of black pepper.  So delicious, I even repeated it for breakfast with a sliced tomato on the side.



Here, you see our own garden green beans with brown butter and another salad from Real Simple.  Watermelon with a vinaigrette, pistachios, green olives, and feta.  It was strangely tasty, but the leftovers were not good (soft nuts, weeping watermelon).

8 comments:

Lana said...

I think my Mom is from around your parts. We always had corn with mashed potatoes. The ultimate comfort plate!

Hazel said...

Oh dear, I'm clearly not hip...

There isn't a big tradition of creamed corn in Britain (we only discovered corn on the cob in about 1976 and then it was frozen) so it's not something I've ever thought of doing. 'Sweetcorn' here still tends to come in tins or frozen.

I love most things with a poached or fried egg, so will definitely try this. I've just googled fresh corn polenta and found (and pinned) an Ottolenghi recipe for sweet corn polenta with aubergine (egg plant) sauce which sounds good.

Lisa said...

That sounds entirely delicious!

sillygirl said...

I found another fresh corn polenta at Marcus Samuelsson's blog that doesn't use eggplant - I can't always find a good deal on eggplant - http://www.marcussamuelsson.com/recipe/fresh-corn-polenta-recipe
at this address. We really liked it.

BLD in MT said...

Amazing. I must try this! And the corn will be ready soon!

Susan said...

That looks so incredibly delicious! I am going to have to try it for breakfast tomorrow!

jenny_o said...

"baby food carbs" hee hee All the easier to hoover it in :) It looks so good!

Unknown said...

Thank you for your wonderful BLOG!!
My Sister loves the taste of corn with mashed potatoes. Share more corn recipes.


stainless steel sausage stuffer

While I am buying online, I have to check the features and pricing of the stuffs, to make the most out our money. Through comparing the prices and tech specs of the products I can find the best deals on the Heinsohn’s Country Store.