Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Cooking Lesson: Cucumber Salad with Cumin

I had planned that I would slice the cucumbers for this lesson, but Genevieve used the big knife!  I stayed right next to her and alternately demonstrated, guided her hand, and watched.  She did an excellent job.



I often realize something during these cooking lessons, probably because I am taking the time to look at the kitchen through a little girl's eyes.  Valuable lessons, indeed.  What I realized this time is that I crank out three meals a day most days and I am super-efficient in the kitchen.  I enjoy what I'm doing and I enjoy my efficiency.  No hanging around thinking about how to garnish the salad or stroking the cutting board or staring at lemons before I cut them.  The thinking that I do about cooking happens while my hands are busy with a needle or dishes or clothespins or I'm trying to pay attention in church.  But a child comes to the kitchen world in wonder and amazement that slows down the entire process and add steps to the recipe.  So I can pick up some of her wonder and she can pick up some of my efficiency, don't you think?



We love this salad.  The recipe comes from Fix-it and Forget-it Vegetarian.  We ate it with rice and beans and pickled jalapenos.

Cucumber Salad with Cumin

Toast 1 tsp. cumin seed - either on a small tray in the toaster oven or in a dry skillet.  Takes only a few minutes and watch closely - you want to smell the aroma of cumin but not burn it.  Set aside.

Whisk in bottom of smallish salad bowl:
2 Tbsp. mayonnaise
juice and zest of 1 lemon
the 1 tsp. toasted cumin seed
2 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt

Stripe 2 cucumbers with a zester or a paring knife - just for pretty. Halve or quarter lengthwise if you wish before slicing thinly.  Toss gently with dressing.  Serve immediately.

(Another reason to keep cumin seed on hand:  dhal.)

8 comments:

sara said...

What a beautiful thought - slowing down to smell the cucumbers!

Hazel said...

Well done Genevieve :-)I think learning to use a sharp knife is really important.

Intrigued by the salad- I've never thought of cumin with cucumber. One to try, thanks.

Polly said...

I have a LOAD of cucumbers in my fridge right now and I'm totally making this tonight to be served with my uncle's fresh corn and some kind of fish I wrangle at the market this afternoon. Yum. Thank you.

I wish I were *more* efficient in the kitchen. Sometimes I think I do a lot of walking in circles.

Mother4 said...

I have never toasted cumin seeds. Just spread them on a sheet and bake at what temp?

jenny_o said...

Oh yes! That's what I found with my kids as well; slowing to their speed was hard but it brought more tranquility to my days.

That salad looks so good, my mouth is watering - alas, I can no longer eat much that is acidic due to both heartburn and the loss of enamel on my teeth, which makes them ultra sensitive for days afterward. But I used to love vinegar and lemons (not together!).

I am intrigued by your treatment for heartburn; have been thinking about how to incorporate it within my limited diet.

Margo said...

Mother4, you can toast seeds/nuts/bread cubes at any temp, really. You just need to keep an eye on them and watch for darkening color and sniff for the scent.

If I had to choose a temperature because there's nothing else using oven heat, I would put the tray in the cold oven, set it for 350 F, and then set my timer for 5 minutes. I'd check on it in 30 second increments after that - or maybe even before that. It's a quick job that bears watching. Good luck!

Polly said...

I made this with my husband's birthday roast last night--it was so good! He was overpowered by the cumin seed, but I wasn't. I boldly drizzled the dressing in the bottom of the salad bowl *over my roast and potatoes* even.

Sew Blessed Maw said...

Genevie...so proud of you.. You are making some great dishes.. KNow you and mom are having lots of fun in the kitchen.. ENjoy!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails