Friday, May 3, 2013

Peeks into an Old House with Its Old Life

My in-laws bought an investment property, a house that came along at the right time and they are up for the renovation. This is not new turf to them and they're good at this.  This time, my husband is also involved as the design professional.

The other day, I finally paid attention and asked to see the house.  I'm not sure what my father-in-law and husband thought went I went ga-ga over the sinks - I don't think I want to know.  But I came back the today with my camera because something caught my heart when I looked at that old house.

I wanted to make a nest in it with all the dear little cubbies and nooks and closets.  I wanted to have an aqua tiled bathroom.

Also, if I had paid more attention to what my father-in-law and husband were saying instead of stroking marble sinks, I could tell you which exact details and items are staying.  Most of them are, I think. I only took photos of the parts I loved, so you're not seeing the 1980s kitchen with the rooster wallpaper border, the odd purple front door, or the carpeted "den."  Pretty ugly, really.

All I was concerned about today with my camera were the images, the light, the pathos.

 
 



 
 
I was on my way to a banquet when I squeezed in this photo session. I didn't want you to think I wear that much jewelry around the house.
 


the mother's dressing room


a pencil sharpener in the dressing room?




lavender glass doorknob


18 comments:

Unknown said...

I love old houses - such romance in the details...but I don't know if I could live in one. I would if I had plenty of money to restore it to former glory and add the modern conveniences too : )

music said...

Amazing Blog !!

Jodi Ann said...

I agree, so much romance in older homes. I love your photos!! (and your jewelry) :)

Rhonda said...

That was really fun to look at. I was wondering if the green cabinet could be salvaged but it looks built in on the back and side, too bad.

Lisa said...

Oh, I do so LOVE glass door knobs, but never saw a lavender one!

oukay said...

I smiled when I saw these pictures. The bathroom in the '52 house we bought awhile back had aqua tiles with yellow trim. Even the toilet was aqua. The only way we could cope with the colors was to sponge paint the walls. Alas, the aqua and yellow had to make way eventually for an expanded bathroom. I did give away the tiles that could be salvaged on Freecycle.

Rebecca said...

I'm a little breathless. I think you should chain yourself to the tub to keep them from yanking it out, if indeed that is the plan.

On a slightly more rational note, I have never had a modern pencil sharpener that worked as well as those old crank style ones. Snatch that up, for sure!

Margo said...

R, don't worry - the aqua tub is staying, I do recall. And that's a good thought for the pencil sharpener. I'll ask!

LOVE AND XXXX said...

Love this old house. Has so much charm.
If you're pretty nifty with a screwdriver how about rescuing those pretty curtains.

Julian said...

Swoon! I love old houses,& this has potential. Please update us on the transformations.
Christina

Jennifer Jo said...

I LOVE old houses. If we had the resources, my husband would love to buy, fix up, and sell them. (I'd just be the cheering squad and perspective-giver.)

jenny_o said...

How great that your husband is involved in the project! Are you interested in documenting the progress? It would be so interesting to see the property as it changes. Love that glass doorknob and the old stair rail.

Tracy said...

LOVE! This house has GREAT bones. I hope you'll be updating for us. Do you read Alicia Paulsen's blog, Posie Gets Cozy? This house reminds me a little of hers.

Elaine said...

Oh, I LOVE it! My 1957 house has those same bathroom light fixtures! My husband and I were lucky enough to land an old house that just needs a tad of modernizing but no significant repairs.

Please keep us updated! I'd love to see what this place looks like as it's being remodeled!

Meryl said...

Oh wow--gorgeous! I wouldn't want to own that big of a project--I wouldn't know what to do with it--but I can't wait to see it all restored!

Reinventing Mother said...

Oh I love it! And the pencil sharpener? When we moved into our house 25 years ago there was one in the closet. It is still there!

Melanie said...

How lovely! I can think of all kinds of ways to bring out those beautiful, charming features :-) In my dreams, in my imagined free time, I would love to rehab a house like this.

I hope you'll have time to share a few snapshots along the way of what they decide to do with this house!

Lily said...

Great post