I am going to try my hand growing rosemary, my favorite herb. I bought a little plant in March and just planted it Saturday - and planted the oregano, too, whoops, so I had to protect it at nights. Wish me luck as I keep plugging away at gardening!
Here is what I know about growing rosemary, from the lady who sold me the plants:
1. likes well-drained, even sandy, soil
2. likes to be evenly moist or on the dry side
3. must come in in my winter
4. planted in a plastic pot with holes in the bottom, and then buried in the ground, so I can easily retrieve it in late fall for a sunny, indoor windowsill
5. will grow as large as the pot I put it in
6. happiest in spring and fall, when days are warm and nights chilly
I love rosemary on roasted beets, in these scones, and mostly recently, in the crust of a lemon tart.