Monday, February 25, 2013

Embroidery Floss Storage

All my embroidery floss, needles, and darning egg were jumbled in a tin.  Ridiculous.  Rebecca's family all keeps theirs in flannel rolls, so I made one for myself.  You can see I don't have a large collection and I don't really have embroidery projects, just mending and darning jags.

I added a pocket for the darning egg and a packet of needles.  The inside of the roll is flannel and the outside is from this dress. The dress was the wrong color for me and the wrong fit for me and a few friends, but I loved the quirky fabric, so I kept it for its fabric and nice metal zipper.


 
How do you store your embroidery floss?

4 comments:

Lisa said...

I bought quite a bit of floss on ebay and it's all in a ziploc freezer bag. It's fine like that, until I use part of a skein and then it's a mess. I've been thinking I ought to wind those pieces around something. I think I have too much floss for a roll like yours, unless I had an embroidery project going. Right now, I'm using only one color for hand quilting.

jenny_o said...

In a plastic bag. I have everything in plastic bags, because about five years ago I began to have some kind of memory issue with any supplies I couldn't see. I could no longer remember what container housed what supplies (I have no dedicated space such as shelves or cubby holes for supplies). Maybe I just reached the point of "too much" of everything; whatever the reason, it was keeping me from doing any sewing or other craft work.

Plastic bags aren't pretty, but it's the only way I have found to know where all my stuff is!

Your roll, however, is beautiful. As usual :)

Marcia said...

In one of those shallow, rectangular, and compartmentalized plastic containers. It is easier to sort them by color that way.

But a big project that requires many colors of floss should have its own rolled-up fabric storage like yours. I am so liking the idea.

Thanks!

Unknown said...

Nice way to keep everything neat! I just keep my floss in a bag...rummaging to find the right color sounds lame compared to your floss role!