Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Jar Cozies

I've been using canning jars for lots more than canning.  I use them for packed lunches, leftovers, and transporting food to potlucks and parties.  They're tempered glass, so they don't break easily.  They don't leach chemicals into the food and glass is easier to recycle and breaks down faster than plastic.

What's not to love?  The clashing of glass in a lunch bag or picnic basket, that's what. 

While the jars might not break easily, I don't want to tempt breakage by letting them bang up against anything in transport.

 
So I made two jar cozies to cushion the jars.  I just made 2 fabric cyclinders, one longer than the other and one made out of some quilted cotton from the re-use store.  I stuffed the longer one down into the quilted one and folded the top over and under to stitch down as a neat edge. 

 
I couldn't resist a fun patch here and there, but I didn't want to get too cutesy with sturdy, hardworking kitchen tools.

Because yes, the cozies have been wonderful. I can even stick a serving spoon down the side. I love this kind of functional sewing!


 
Any other jar-transporting tricks to share?

(Linking up with the Eat Make Grow Blog Hop for no-spend February!)

11 comments:

Johanna said...

These look wonderful! Will you be listing any in your etsy shop?

I had found an idea online to drill a hole in the lid of a canning jar for a straw insert so the jars can be taken somewhere without spilling, if need be. I thought that was cute too. I haven't tried it yet, though.

I think the combo of your cozies and the straw idea would be a good way for me to transport drinks for the kids in the car when we go out instead of depending on plastic (yuk) water bottles.

Blessings
Johanna

Sew Blessed Maw [Judy] said...

These are adorable. you could do shorter or longer ones , depending on which jars your using [1/2 pint, pint, quart ,etc].. Cute ,cute.

Margo said...

Johanna, thank you! I would take custom orders for these in my etsy shop, yes. Convo me there if you're interested and we can discuss prices/sizes/colors.

BLD in MT said...

Great idea. I've used socks to keep them from banging too much in my lunch box as I walk, but your way is much more charming!

Margo said...

BLD, socks?! That's a clever use for an orphan sock!

Lisa said...

Margo, I'll say it again - there is something about your creations; they have a charm, a something I don't know a good enough word for.

It's such a cute idea, too.

jenny_o said...

I don't know how you come up with your unique ideas, but I'm glad you do - these are so pleasing to the eye. I think I'm trying to say what Lisa is trying to say, too :)

Thrifty Mom In Boise said...

Love this idea. Really nice.

Lisa said...

Personality! There.

Margo said...

oh Lisa, thank you :)

Meryl said...

Well aren't these smart?! I'm always afraid one is going to break in my purse and I'll end up with spaghetti sauce all over everything.