Friday, July 22, 2011

Beyond Cream Cheese

My mind sort of stops with cream cheese for a bagel; I mean, there's lox and I love it, but it's a treat, and I just revert to a soft creamy cheese.


I saw a tidbit on SouleMama the other day that led me to mashing some mild local feta with a little fresh lemon juice, good olive oil, fresh pepper, and freshly snipped mint.  Spread on sesame bagel.  With a slice of the first ambrosial cantaloupe on the side and black coffee.  Breakfast heaven. 

It may interest you to know that my children did not eat much of this breakfast - probably due to the horrible heat sink we're having.  But I don't usually pay much attention to these whims - they have little food fads all the time, but I just cook what is good and figure they'll eat if they're hungry.  So yes, I will be serving this breakfast again.

And now, dear chickens, I am off for a bit to the beach.  I was dying of the heat anyway, so being forced to sleep and live in an air-conditioned beach house sounds like a delightful prospect.

6 comments:

Polly said...

Enjoy the beach!!!

LOVE the breakfast idea!! Downright yummy. I am so intrigued by the addition of mint. I never would have seen it coming!! But I have mint growing in my kitchen, lemons in the fridge and farmer's market feta to buy tomorrow.....so I'm going to try this combo.

Rebecca said...

"Ambrosial cantaloupe" is right! Must be the miserable, wretched, heinous weather we're having...the melons are beyond compare. We had watermelon and cantaloupe for supper tonight and everyone ate like threshers and then shamelessly drank the juice out of the bowl.

Come back to me soon. And don't forget sunscreen.

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

Can I come to your house for breakfast too?! Seriously, YUM!

Lovely beach wanderings to you!

The Provincial Homemaker said...

My, I haven't had a proper bagel since I studied abroad in the states. So, so jealous. Perhaps I could do the feta on a english muffin.

Deanna Beth said...

How inspired. Just what is called for in this heat wave that stretches to me, too.

Unknown said...

Oh for a heatwave! In the meantime I'm going to wrap my cold hands around feta on toast, thanks for the inspiration!