Monday, February 7, 2011

Sunday Dinner: Make-Ahead Black Beans and Rice

My friend Maria converted the Black Bean and Rice Skillet recipe in Simply in Season to an oven baked recipe.  I riffed on her recipe to have an easy Sunday dinner, happy for a tasty alternative to beef roasts.  And oven baked rice gets so light and chewy, not gummy. 



Remember, even though these make-ahead meals serve my family as Sunday dinner, you can use these menus and ideas any time you have to be away a chunk of time and want dinner basically waiting when you return home.  I love opening the door and having good smells meet me.

Menu:
Oven black beans and rice
tortillas, cilantro
guacamole
raw beet salad
(this would be a good place for a dessert, right?  we went to a party instead. . .where Ben managed to snag 4 brownies)




Friday:
check the avocadoes for ripeness - pop them in the fridge to hold for Sunday
put frozen black beans in fridge to thaw
make beet salad

Saturday:
thaw tortillas

Sunday morning:
assemble black beans and rice - put in oven on timed bake

Sunday noon:
make guacamole
sprinkle cheese on black beans and rice
set table
chop cilantro
warm tortillas



Oven Black Beans and Rice
Stir together in oven proof dish, approx. 9x13:
1 chopped onion
2 c. cooked black beans
1 c. white rice
2 c. chicken stock
some chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper to taste

Cover and bake at 350 for 1 hour.  Sprinkle with cheese and allow to melt before serving.  Great served with tortillas or tortilla chips, and all the toppings you like.

And a note about guacamole:  I mash an avocado with a hand masher, the zest and juice of a lemon or lime, a little olive oil, salt and pepper, some cumin, and a little chopped onion or garlic.  Incomparable flavor.  Sometimes I add cilantro or chopped tomatoes.

9 comments:

Melanie said...

Oh! I'm so excited to try the Oven Black Beans and Rice. That's one of my favorite go-to, quick, simple recipes in SiS, but it never occured to me to try it in the oven. I think we'll like the rice cooked that way. Thanks for the tip!

We also had a simple supper after church Sunday - minestrone soup (reheated) - and went to a party later where many treats were had ;-)

Deanna Beth said...

This looks excellent. Being snowbound always makes me hungry for Mexican-type food.

Jacinta said...

I like the look of this! Must try. Does it have to be black beans or could I do red kidney beans do you think? And cilantro? is that parsley or something different. Thanks Margo. :)

Margo said...

Jacinta, I use dried beans almost interchangeably and don't notice a big flavor or texture difference. I think colored beans would look nicer with the white rice.

Cilantro has a different flavor from parsley. I associate the flavor with Spanish or Asian foods. Around here, cilantro is a common herb at market. I wonder if Aussies call it something different?

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

I'm definitely marking this recipe to try very soon. Easy and delicious, what could be better?

~Stephanie said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.... I'm marking this down! We don't have a timed bake option with our oven so I'll have to make it another time. :)

Unknown said...

Do you use cooked rice or raw?

Margo said...

Hi Cyndi, the rice is raw.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much! Making it vegan for Christmas...Have a wonderful holiday!