(no new pics of the quilt to show - just a fun beach cottage photo)
1. It's soooooo sloooooow. I'm not sure this quilt will be finished this summer.
2. It hurts! An experienced quilter told me I will simply develop callouses on my finger and thumb where the needle pricks over and over. I remember my late grandmother with a piece of tape on her poor quilting thumb and now I wish I could ask her about that.
3. Practice does make perfect. My beginning stitches are big and awkward; a few hours later, now my stitches are even and tiny.
4. Hand quilting is wonderful handwork, if a bit bulky to carry around the quilt. It's way more fun than knitting, in my opinion, and easy to look around (watch a movie, make eye contact with someone while talking, look out the window while riding in a car).
5. If I hand quilt a whole quilt again, I want to experiment with using thicker thread, a bigger needle, and bigger stitches; I want all that laborious quilting to show up! Pin It