A friend invited me to pick her green beans; she said she was tired of picking and freezing them. I jumped on the chance and came home with a dishpan two-thirds full. Hooray for generous friends with bountiful gardens!
So often my housework requires me to be on my feet and I am really dragging in this heat, so I enjoyed sitting with my feet up in my shady backyard, topping and tailing beans, watching the children play.
1. bring a larg pot of water to full rolling boil
2. dump the beans in - they should have plenty of room - put the lid back on
3. time for 3 minutes
4. prepare a ice/water bath in the sink
5. get the beans into the water bath as soon as possible (I drained off the hot water in the other sink and then dumped the beans into the water bath; you can also use a strainer basket and just lift the basket of beans out of the hot water)
6. when cool, drain and pack them into freezer boxes or bags; label
8. freeze (try to imagine a winter afternoon, planning dinner in wool socks with mug of tea in hand; think of tasting those summery beans in the cozy darkness of a December supper)
Alabama Chanin Rose Skirt: Gunmetal Gorgeousness
39 minutes ago