Saturday, January 30, 2010

Community Nurse Macaroni & Cheese



We have all been sick with the stomach flu, my nemesis. I would rather be sick with almost anything else. As I lay on the sofa, I finally reached the last of the Southern Living magazines my friend Andrea had given me (thank you, Andrea!). I had torn out a few recipes and when I considered what to eat as we moved past the B.R.A.T. diet, I recalled the one below. It is named for the public health nurses who once showed young mothers how to make nutritious meals. I was amused that it was "nursing" my family back to health and strength.

Community Nurse Macaroni & Cheese
Cook until very al dente:
1 box (16 oz) macaroni

Mix together in bowl:
1 c. dry milk
1/4 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
2 c. water
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 pound shredded sharp cheese
3-4 Tbs. melted butter
2 beaten eggs

Combine with macaroni and put in well- greased casserole (about 9x13 size - this is a BIG recipe).

Top with:
1/2 c. bread or cracker crumbs

Bake at 375 for 35-45 minutes (until bubbly and edges are turning tan).

It's an easy mac-n-cheese, but I can tell I'm not myself: normally I would have halved this recipe and still had leftovers. And I totally forgot to put the flour in until it was in the oven for 10 minutes, so I called my friend Rebecca for advice. On her recommendation, I whisked the flour with a bit of milk and tried to shove it down into the baking goop without disturbing the crumbs over much.

Overall, we liked it, but I would have liked more creamy stuff clinging to the macaroni. However, I am not fond of making white sauces, so I might fiddle around with this one to get it more to my liking.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

mmm, macaroni and cheese. one of my favorite recipes was the one i used for community meal once: macaroni, shredded cheddar, cottage cheese, sour cream. that simple and really, better than the kind where you make a sauce!! :)

Shasta said...

complete health to all of you, my dear!!

Margo said...

Rachel, yes, I must get that recipe from you. Cottage cheese is not a pantry staple for me, but I could always plan ahead :) And I don't keep sour cream - I would hope plain yogurt would work.

Anonymous said...

Just saw this recipe on this wonderful blog--one pot mac-n-cheese!
http://ourmothersdaughters.blogspot.com/2010/02/dear-auntie-leila-you-promised-fast.html

Robin(Mamalama)